Transferring away from litter tray to outdoor ?!

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.

We did a very gradual introduction to the outside world for our two 1 year old cats, initially on harnesses, then relatively short supervised adventures off the lead, and finally in the last month we got a microchip cat flap and Dennis and Squish are allowed to come and go as they please during the working day and then come in to sleep with us at night (I lock the cat flap).

They absolutely LOVE the garden, and i am so happy we have made the decision to let them go outside as I can see how happy it makes them, they also sleep through the night like babies now and I don't worry about them being bored out of their minds whilst we are at work.

Anyway! We have had two litter trays since we got them in our spare bathroom.  Initially they would come back in from the garden to go to the loo, however I have noticed less and less use of the trays over the past few weeks.

Ideally I would like to get rid of the trays altogether and claim my second bathroom back as its just been theirs since they arrived!  What is the best way to go about this? I thought perhaps removing one tray for a few weeks then the other?  Any tips? Thanks!

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since your cats still go inside for the night, I think it would be wise to have a litter box around . My cats also go outdoors any time they wish and their litter boxes are still available inside. There will be times when they need to use them. For example when heavy rains make the soil outside too damp for their use. 

However, if you really do not want them doing their business indoors, you can try moving their trays little by little towards the outside. First, place them outside the bathroom (close the door) for a couple of days. Then, move them near the cat flap. After that, place them outside by their entry/exit point. Hopefully, there will come a time when your cats will no longer bother using them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Yayi - they are pretty much not using it at all anymore. Never for #2s.  This week I have moved it actually into the bath to see if they use it at all then if I move it away at least they will go in an easy to clean place :)