training help

debbiegarland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, 

This question goes to all of you who teach your cats tricks! :)

So I have been trying to teach my cat simple tricks and so far have been getting mixed results.  I have gotten him to sit and to beg (going on hind legs--and it's adorable!!) but this it and I have not been able to get him to do anything else.  So far I have also tried fetch, lie down, roll over, high-five, and stay but he hasn't gotten any.  

I think one of the problems is that he responds to the treat not the command. When I say sit he doesn't do it unless I do the hand motion with it bringing up my hand with the treat.  I don't think he gets exactly what he is doing--he doesn't view it as a trick, rather,  he is just trying to get the treat.  I also do it usually with the clicker.  But maybe my problem is that I am used to training my dog not cats.  

So I'm curious how do you all go about teaching your cats treats? Any suggestions?  Any tricks I should try?  

Maybe it's just not possible, but I would like to continue with it because my cat enjoys it and he seems pretty bright so i'm surprised he still hasn't gotten the hang of it.  Thanks for any advice :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only done very basic "tricks" with a few cats (sit, lay down, and stay) but really it comes down to working with what the cat wants to do, cats don't work for humans. Unlike a dog who thinks what can I do for you? A cat thinks what is in it for me? I actually find that more simple minded cats are easier to train since they don't seem to ask why as often, lol. The cat I have that has been the easiest to train is Mittens, he was raised by a dog and I think he thinks he is one. He watched when I was training my dogs and caught on what some of  the words meant and that they led to treats or petting. But even though I know he knows some commands, if he doesn't feel like doing it he will play dumb.

Tricks have to have a purpose for the cat, like training it to sit before it gets fed or if you cat enjoys jumping, incorporate a jump or hoop into your play. Some cats enjoy fetch, the chase is the benefit to the cat in that situation for example. I'm not sure if I've been any help, but basically you have to look at whatever you are trying to get the cat to do from the perspective of what the cat gets out of it.