Training cat to stay off the kitchen counters

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three dogs and they wouldn't dream of getting on the counter. They can be trained. The cat however did whatever she wanted - regardless of anything, I couldn't train her. Yes, at one point I was disillusioned enough to think that I could train her.

My cat is very bold and actually liked many of the tricks like foil, etc. The only thing that worked was several SSSCat cans. I
that product! It gave me my counter back and my sanity

Don't worry concerned cat people, she has the rest of the house and many cat trees at her every whim.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave up a LONG time ago- luckily the cats that I have right now don't every really go up onto counters/kitchen table, however Pirate does have one spot on the table if the kitchen windows are open (it's very cute). Over the past couple years, I've figured out that even though the house is mine, the cats OWN it. Everything in it is theirs, nothing is really off limits to them.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't cook here in the trailer and the counter is the only place the cat food is out of reach of my relatively well behaved dog, so I feed them on the counter.
In fact, I don't even keep food here aside from pet food, I guess the pets just let me crash here as their caretaker

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my cats are always up there
I don't cook too much, but when I do I make sure to remove all food as soon as it is done cooking, I put pots and such in the oven or microwave if there is food left in them before I either have seconds or bowl it up cause they will get it in as soon as I turn my back
When it's me versus the cats, they vastly outnumber me!