Training a Cat to Walk?

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, my cat seems to really really enjoy going outside of my house to play but since she isn't spayed, I do not allow her. I have been looking for a way to exercise recently and have thought about taking my cat out for a walk. How do you start training cats to go out for walks on a harness?

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To start the cat needs to just get used to wearing the harness!! Put it on her for small periods of time and just let her walk around the house in it. Then start leaving it on for longer! When she starts walking normally with the harness and doesn't seem effected (or affected?? lol) by wearing it anymore you can start attaching the leash to it while she is around the house. Eventually start following her with the leash on, then grab the leash while following her but do not cause any resistance. Once she is feeling comfortable you can keep progressing until she is completely comfortable with all that and can handle some resistance! After that you can start going outside.

Roxy LOVES going out on walks!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the post, that was very informative.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let her out when she is in heat; a cat in heat will do anything to get to a tom...