Training a cat to walk on a leash.

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I understand walking cats on leashes isn't common, but isn't considered as crazy as it would have been ten years ago when my last cat passed. Pangur is such an agreeable and curious fellow I wonder if he would benefit from it. We are in an apartment and not on the 1st floor. He always shows interest in the door and we have all had to be very vigilant of where he is when we enter and exit.

Do you have any advice or good resources for learning how to train a cat on a leash? My mother gave me a small dog harness and leash to get started with and try out. We have had him for two and a half weeks now, should we wait a few months before introducing something this huge? Thanks for any replies.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

orangetux

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiki walks on a leash with a harness, not a collar, can slip off. I read all the articles on training him. He was over five when I trained him. We don't live in the city but I'm afraid he will run into the woods and I won't be able to catch him. Also, afraid of other animals, hawks getting him.
He comes to me when called but I'm still concerned that something will cause him to run. The one good advice I read was to be very patient and do it when you have enough time.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd suggest one of these types of harness/leashes which are much tougher to wriggle out of than the collar type ones:

Some of my cats will deal with having these contraptions put on them--this guy, Travis, acted like he'd been in one forever and couldn't wait to get out and explore.  Others would have none of it.  Try it and see how your kitty reacts to having one put on him. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse tolerates his leash pretty well but he doesn't like going out as he gets a bit spooked by noises once he's out of his own territory....   he has a slightly smilar kind or harness to @bettsygee's Travis.  He will walk about and play within the apartment without any fuss (I like to keep him used to it in case of emergencies).  First off I let him play with the leash, then clipped it on with treats in the process, and then got him used to roaming about the apartment with it on.

The picture isn't that clear: the harness has a padded breast panel that spaces nicely down the chest and postitions well to give a good fit preventing wriggling out of the harness without being tight, and it is light over the back and shoulders so doesn't seem to bother Mouse when it's on. It's pretty easy to get on and off quickly but does have a safety lock on the clip so it can't come undone accidentally (it's designed for car transport).   While the harnness is sold with a car safety strap with buckle it can also be used with any standard leash for walking. 

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/harnesses/78255

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! It's great that you've decided to walk your cat.  Not only is a great experience for the cat, I think you'll enjoy it, too.  

Don't worry, walking a cat really isn't as big of a project as many people make it out to be.  I used to take daily walks all over town with a kitten that I was helping to care for.  He absolutely loved them!  

You should probably start training Pangur right away, as the sooner you start, the sooner you'll be going on adventures together.  Be patient, and don't worry if he doesn't seem to like it at first.  Since it's a new experience, he won't be sure what to expect, and may be a little scared for the first few times.  You must stay consistent, and keep taking him out! 

You may also find my cat walking guide helpful: http://petoodles.net/how-to-walk-your-cat

Keep us updated on Pangur's progress!