Trained cats?

brynnsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone else trained their cats to do tricks at all?
I started training my kitty when he was very young, and he now knows quite a few tricks, I was just wondering if anyone else had done anything similar.
I would love to share some videos of him, but not sure if that is possible thru here.
Anyway, just thought it would be neat to see if anyone else has trick performing cats, lol.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My soulmate cat, Max, the black tuxedo on my signature, was a cat full of tricks. He walked on the treadmill with me, got in the shower with me, drank his water from the running faucet in the bathroom, and played hide and seek.
I only taught him the hide and seek thing. The rest he just did on his own. He was the love of my life and after five years, I still miss him.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a volunteer at our shelter who teaches the cats to jump through a hoop. She has a lot of success with food-motivated cats, not so much with those who aren't.

Flambe is a world-class hoop jumper; he would kill his own mother for one bite of wet food.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know if you all remember the day Bella thought she was part retriever for about 20 minutes and began fetching little wads of paper I was tossing around. She came back to earth very quickly, though, and left me to do the majority of the picking up. There is one little gesture I do in sign language that she responds to all the time. I sign the phrase, "come be with me," and she will come running! She is motivated by a good belly rub!!!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marshmallow will walk on a leash, but I can't take credit for teaching him. He is very calm and didn't have any problems with the harness.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sidney, Mama Mia, and Pirate are all trained to sit up and beg. They sit on their bottoms and sit up like a dog begging when I give them the hand signal. Pirate is still very greedy with treats, so it's a little hard to get him not to touch my hand when I do it, and Sidney is the best. All I have to do with her is say the words "sit up" and she does it. And I don't have to give them a treat everytime. Most of the time I don't even motivate them with a treat, they just know how to do it. Taylor can't do it because of her lack of coordination and motor skills, but she will stretch her neck as far as possible to try lol before she eventually gives up and I have to just give her a treat because I feel bad.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my RB kitty Scully knew lots of tricks, he would sit, give his paw then do a 'meerkat'stand for a treat that he would then gently take from your head / mouth /wherever else

Quincy will sit on command, and if you point at the floor will lie down - he will roll over to the right if you make a rolling signal with your hand but completely ignores you if you try to make him roll left.

The others will come on command to their own names but other than that - no tricks