Trader Joe's Cat Food?

tinykisses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I thought I had explained that methionine, not salt, is the "medicine" that makes c/d and s/d effective against the formation of struvite crystals.

Actually the "medicine" you are referring to that creates thirst in the cat is salt, plain old salt. The reason c/d and s/d are prescription is the added methionine which is an amino acid which acts as a urine acidifier. The urine acidifier bring urine pH down to levels where crystals do not form as easily. Feeding a diet high in meat also acts as a natural urine acidifier.
Actually, you first stated it was salt, plain old salt to be exact (see your previous reply) .  Then you come back with another reply that it was methionine, not salt. ( see second quote).  I'm sorry, but to me, you seem to be changing your information on the same subject, which is very confusing.  My only point was, whatever the ingredient is in Hills CD food, it creates thirst which makes cats drink more water.  This keeps crystals from forming, so that is all I care about.  Period. 

lovemyzoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope it's okay to tag onto the end of this (very old) thread.  Our resident cat eats Trader Joe's canned food along with FreshPet Select pouched food and some occasional others (Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau is a loved treat).  Those seem great for her.  We now have a pregnant foster though, and I'm wondering if Trader Joe's canned food is an appropriate diet for pregnant cats or kittens (when they begin to wean to wet food).  I have used the Trader Joe's wet food with past foster kittens, but they have been a little older.  The shelter uses mostly RC Babycat with the littlest ones and then random other stuff as they get bigger, but these little ones will be here with us until 12 weeks or so.  I will mix up what they eat somewhat so they are able to transition to something new when they are ready to be adopted.  They are fed Royal Canin and Science Diet at the shelter, but I can't bring myself to stick to that when they're here with me.  Right now the pregnant kitty is eating mostly wet food made for kittens (Natural Choice, ProPlan Select), plus sometimes the FreshPet Select or Trader Joe's.  I would go forward with mostly all the TJs though, if it's appropriate for a pregnant cat.

TIA!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hope it's okay to tag onto the end of this (very old) thread.  Our resident cat eats Trader Joe's canned food along with FreshPet Select pouched food and some occasional others (Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau is a loved treat).  Those seem great for her.  We now have a pregnant foster though, and I'm wondering if Trader Joe's canned food is an appropriate diet for pregnant cats or kittens (when they begin to wean to wet food).  I have used the Trader Joe's wet food with past foster kittens, but they have been a little older.  The shelter uses mostly RC Babycat with the littlest ones and then random other stuff as they get bigger, but these little ones will be here with us until 12 weeks or so.  I will mix up what they eat somewhat so they are able to transition to something new when they are ready to be adopted.  They are fed Royal Canin and Science Diet at the shelter, but I can't bring myself to stick to that when they're here with me.  Right now the pregnant kitty is eating mostly wet food made for kittens (Natural Choice, ProPlan Select), plus sometimes the FreshPet Select or Trader Joe's.  I would go forward with mostly all the TJs though, if it's appropriate for a pregnant cat.

TIA!
As long as it is an all stages food and high in animal protein and fat and low in carbs, it should be fine for pregnant cats and kittens.

weddingdance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only cat people like us (me) could sit here eating lunch reading about cat stools and vomit and not even flinch, ha ha!

katie vance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I can't understand why people do not yet get it that dry pet food is pure crap. Even most vets I talk to seem to accept that people would feed this.  It is like giving your beloved pet a death sentence.
You know not everyone on the planet has to have the same opinions right? Saying that people that give their cats dry good are pretty much giving their cat a death sentence is just beyond ridiculous not to mention rude I think, basically acting like we must be criminals for doing so. If your cat dislikes wet food then what, just have them not eat? My cat rarely eats any of the wet food I have gave her and obviously you can't force cats to eat certain types of food so I mainly feed her dry food (the good kind) and no problems at all. I had another cat that was fed dry food most of her life and she lived to be 14 and was very healthy so hmm that's odd. Some cats drink more water than others too, my cat happens to love drinking water and every time I have gone to the vet, they have said she's very hydrated. Anyway so not everyone has to do what you think they should do. People like to act like dry food is way worse than it is...

weddingdance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True, and they also need something hard to help clean the tartar off their teeth. I feed my cats a mixture of both wet and dry, depending on the cat and what they'll eat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, and they also need something hard to help clean the tartar off their teeth. I feed my cats a mixture of both wet and dry, depending on the cat and what they'll eat.
Dry food does not clean teeth. It shatters and makes crumbs that stick to teeth and between teeth and get under the gumline. The only food that is actually good for a cat's dental health is a (balanced) raw diet: specifically Prey model Raw. But a canned diet is better over all than any dry.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know not everyone on the planet has to have the same opinions right? Saying that people that give their cats dry good are pretty much giving their cat a death sentence is just beyond ridiculous not to mention rude I think, basically acting like we must be criminals for doing so. If your cat dislikes wet food then what, just have them not eat? My cat rarely eats any of the wet food I have gave her and obviously you can't force cats to eat certain types of food so I mainly feed her dry food (the good kind) and no problems at all. I had another cat that was fed dry food most of her life and she lived to be 14 and was very healthy so hmm that's odd. Some cats drink more water than others too, my cat happens to love drinking water and every time I have gone to the vet, they have said she's very hydrated. Anyway so not everyone has to do what you think they should do. People like to act like dry food is way worse than it is...
Well, no one is saying dry cat food can't sustain life.

A few things for your consideration. Kibble is akin to eating a diet of only dry, sugary cereal. Cereal, like kibble, is very highly processed. In fact, kibble is MORE processed, because most of the ingredients in kibble are processed prior to the high heat extrusion process, and then kibble is baked. If you're interested, scroll down to "The Manufacturing Process: How Pet Food is Made." http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=359

And it's not just the processing. Kibble is made from the garbage of the garbage of the human food industry. What goes into it is the leftovers that aren't fit for human consumption, and there are actually guidelines for things like how much rat and mouse feces can be in the ingredients that go into it.

Some people have genes that would be able to handle eating only sugary dry cereal. Some don't. Same goes for cats, only people are "built" to live on grains, and cats aren't. Cats are obligate carnivores. From an evolutionary standpoint, they are designed to thrive on mice, rabbits, birds, lizards, etc., not fruits and grains and veggies. :dk: The difference would be surviving vs. thriving.

Yes, you can live on dry cereal. But how much better do you feel if you eat some canned stew or canned vegetables or canned fruits? And how much better, even, if you add some fresh fruit or salads? It's the same thing for our cats - only their need is for meat (bones and organs).

But if you believe that you are not turning a roulette wheel if feeding kibble, please think again. If you keep putting the wrong fuel into an engine, don't be surprised if something stops working properly. Sometimes you get lucky with the engine - sometimes you don't. But some people prefer using the proper fuel.

If feeding dry food, please ensure your cat is properly hydrated. They need to drink about a cup of water a day to be consuming the same amount of moisture as a cat eating canned food; to not be chronically dehydrated (the "minimum" needed amount of water according to the Nutrition Research Council, which is what the AAFCO nutritional guidelines are based on) is a little more than half a cup of water a day. My cats didn't drink much water when they ate only kibble, and the vet always said they were hydrated. And I'm sure that's the same with many cats that went on to develop chronic kidney failure. :(

As to the dry food and dental health: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/does-dry-food-actually-clean-your-cats-teeth

85% of cats suffer from dental disease by age 3, yet the predominant form of food fed is dry food. :scratch:

As to letting your cat go hungry, obviously that's ridiculous. But imagine a child that's eaten only sugary cereal, and now they're 6 or 10 years old. They're going to hate salad. But if you put enough dressing, bacon bits, and cheese on there, they might eat it. Over time, you can reduce the amount of "toppers" you use... and eventually they'll love and crave that salad. Cats are no different.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264675/transitioning-free-fed-kibble-kitties-to-timed-meals-and-new-food

Feeding kibble is a choice, and one many cats can live with. But it is a choice that is based on our needs and lifestyle, not our cats' needs.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

A few things for your consideration. Kibble is akin to eating a diet of only dry, sugary cereal. Cereal, like kibble, is very highly processed. In fact, kibble is MORE processed, because most of the ingredients in kibble are processed prior to the high heat extrusion process, and then kibble is baked. If you're interested, scroll down to "The Manufacturing Process: How Pet Food is Made." http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=359

And it's not just the processing. Kibble is made from the garbage of the garbage of the human food industry. What goes into it is the leftovers that aren't fit for human consumption, and there are actually guidelines for things like how much rat and mouse feces can be in the ingredients that go into it.

Some people have genes that would be able to handle eating only sugary dry cereal. Some don't. Same goes for cats, only people are "built" to live on grains, and cats aren't. Cats are obligate carnivores. From an evolutionary standpoint, they are designed to thrive on mice, rabbits, birds, lizards, etc., not fruits and grains and veggies.
The difference would be surviving vs. thriving.

Yes, you can live on dry cereal. But how much better do you feel if you eat some canned stew or canned vegetables or canned fruits? And how much better, even, if you add some fresh fruit or salads? It's the same thing for our cats - only their need is for meat (bones and organs).

But if you believe that you are not turning a roulette wheel if feeding kibble, please think again. If you keep putting the wrong fuel into an engine, don't be surprised if something stops working properly. Sometimes you get lucky with the engine - sometimes you don't. But some people prefer using the proper fuel.

If feeding dry food, please ensure your cat is properly hydrated. They need to drink about a cup of water a day to be consuming the same amount of moisture as a cat eating canned food; to not be chronically dehydrated (the "minimum" needed amount of water according to the Nutrition Research Council, which is what the AAFCO nutritional guidelines are based on) is a little more than half a cup of water a day. My cats didn't drink much water when they ate only kibble, and the vet always said they were hydrated. And I'm sure that's the same with many cats that went on to develop chronic kidney failure.

As to the dry food and dental health: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/does-dry-food-actually-clean-your-cats-teeth

85% of cats suffer from dental disease by age 3, yet the predominant form of food fed is dry food.

As to letting your cat go hungry, obviously that's ridiculous. But imagine a child that's eaten only sugary cereal, and now they're 6 or 10 years old. They're going to hate salad. But if you put enough dressing, bacon bits, and cheese on there, they might eat it. Over time, you can reduce the amount of "toppers" you use... and eventually they'll love and crave that salad. Cats are no different.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264675/transitioning-free-fed-kibble-kitties-to-timed-meals-and-new-food

Feeding kibble is a choice, and one many cats can live with. But it is a choice that is based on our needs and lifestyle, not our cats' needs.
Well said Laurie.

I was going to respond, but now I don't need to - and - the information you provided is soooo much better than what I could have offered. 

katie vance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Some people have genes that would be able to handle eating only sugary dry cereal. Some don't. Same goes for cats, only people are "built" to live on grains, and cats aren't. Cats are obligate carnivores. From an evolutionary standpoint, they are designed to thrive on mice, rabbits, birds, lizards, etc., not fruits and grains and veggies.
The difference would be surviving vs. thriving.

If feeding dry food, please ensure your cat is properly hydrated. They need to drink about a cup of water a day to be consuming the same amount of moisture as a cat eating canned food; to not be chronically dehydrated (the "minimum" needed amount of water according to the Nutrition Research Council, which is what the AAFCO nutritional guidelines are based on) is a little more than half a cup of water a day. My cats didn't drink much water when they ate only kibble, and the vet always said they were hydrated. And I'm sure that's the same with many cats that went on to develop chronic kidney failure.

85% of cats suffer from dental disease by age 3, yet the predominant form of food fed is dry food.

Everything you just stated I already knew, I have done my fair share of research. Again I feel like people love to make pet owners that feed their cat dry food feel like they are a criminal or horrible person for doing so. My cat probably drinks over a cup a water every day. I know my cat more than anyone especially people I don't know would. I've also had cats most of my life too and I've never had a cat have any kinds of problems at all from eating dry food. I did have a cat that ate mostly wet food and she had ended up getting a lot more tarter than my cats that ate dry food did. I've tried so many different kinds of wet food and have in fact put some toppings or extra gravy and my cat still barely touches the food, again every cat is different and don't all like the same things or react the same. Also no feeding my cat dry food is NOT a choice based on my needs or lifestyle, that doesn't even make sense really. I go by the research I have done, I don't buy the cheap crappy dry food, I watch and look at the ingredients and also because my cat dislikes wet food. I feel like people just enjoy judging others because they do something differently than them and try to make them feel bad.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not about judgment. There's nothing judgmental in my post. There was no way to know from your original post you"d done any research.

TCS is dedicated to cat welfare and education. I've done the research too. Obviously we used different sources and drew different conclusions.

I think a little common sense factors in too, though. :dk: I wouldn't try to argue a highly processed diet made of poor ingredients is healthy for humans. We all know fresh food, minimally processed, with proper protein, fat, veggies, and fruits is healthiest. We don't believe eating pretzels and crackers clean our teeth.

I don't understand why different principles (other than appropriate inputs for the difference in species) apply to cats. They have very specific dietary needs, and an ideal macronutrient content. That's biology, not opinion. :dk:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything you just stated I already knew, I have done my fair share of research. Again I feel like people love to make pet owners that feed their cat dry food feel like they are a criminal or horrible person for doing so. My cat probably drinks over a cup a water every day. I know my cat more than anyone especially people I don't know would. I've also had cats most of my life too and I've never had a cat have any kinds of problems at all from eating dry food. I did have a cat that ate mostly wet food and she had ended up getting a lot more tarter than my cats that ate dry food did. I've tried so many different kinds of wet food and have in fact put some toppings or extra gravy and my cat still barely touches the food, again every cat is different and don't all like the same things or react the same. Also no feeding my cat dry food is NOT a choice based on my needs or lifestyle, that doesn't even make sense really. I go by the research I have done, I don't buy the cheap crappy dry food, I watch and look at the ingredients and also because my cat dislikes wet food. I feel like people just enjoy judging others because they do something differently than them and try to make them feel bad.
Just as I would not eat potato chips to clean my teeth, I wouldn't eat potted meat to clean my teeth. Even a raw diet can only help so much with teeth cleaning in cats. The best way is regular brushing like we humans do. Even then, I swear that some people have better genes or luck with teeth.

I'd rather a cat eat the worst but balanced dry food available rather than starve. For my personal cats, I chose to feed raw. I too have had cats live long lives on dry. That is, until the last one and her health problems were directly related to diet. But again, I'd much rather a cat eat anything that is balanced instead of starve.

I don't think people here are trying to make anyone feel bad; the site owner wouldn't stand for that. Most of us are here because we love cats and want to share what we've learned with others as well as learn from others.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think people here are trying to make anyone feel bad; the site owner wouldn't stand for that. Most of us are here because we love cats and want to share what we've learned with others as well as learn from others.
Katie, Welcome to TCS!  

Would you mind if I suggested that you introduce yourself in the  "New Cats on the Block" forum found in the General Forum? 

I've found that most of the members here - and especially those that have been here for a number of years - have great respect for each other and are not judgmental.  

I think you may have taken issue with someone that was new to TCS (like yourself) and you many have felt offended by that post and so responded to it.  (?)

Sometimes people just get over excited about one issue because they have had a bad experience about that topic and when they post something it may come across as something more than what was intended. 

Members here seem to have an understanding that a "one-size-fits-all" attitude isn't really of how life works and members don't intentionally pen a" judging" post to promote one's self importance and/or just make someone "feel bad".   

One up-manship just doesn't appeal to most members here. I've found that members in this website -for the most part - are sharing their knowledge about a topic and have the best intentions at heart.

It's late as I am posting this - just now a little after 1 A.M., and being tired - so I really hope that I have not offended you or, anyone else for that matter.  I have cats trying to get me to come to bed, so I'll try to accommodate their wishes and go to bed after I preview this and post it. 

fgslegacy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fed 10 different cats on Trader Joe's canned and Bench & Field's dry for over 10 years. All the cats love it and I find the dry robe exceptionally rich in all the right nutrients.

houseofcharm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More thread resurrection form a 1st poster. we just tried TJs canned food and the boys liked it as much as their normal Wellness glop. Now to calculate how much to buy to pay for the 90 mile drive to TJs, oh wait! No sweat as we usually drop $500 on human foods too...!

And towards the dry food controversy-I had a cat in the 70(one of Alec Baldwin then GF's cat actually) who lived on Meow Mix for 21 years. We had 2 maine coons that we cooked for, some raw, some canned, pumpkin recipes, who dies at 12, tongue cancer and renal failure-go figure.

purrrdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought some TJ canned food and tuna for cats. I forget the price of the canned food, but the tuna was 47 cents per can, either 5.5 or 6 oz.

Unfortunately my cat had developed diarrhea. He splattered it all over 4 feet up the wall by the litter box 2 times, and when he goes  #2 it is so runny that it spreads all over his rear hocks. I had to change clothes 3 times this week after he pewped all over his legs then jumped on me covered in poo and litter :(

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I
I just bought some TJ canned food and tuna for cats. I forget the price of the canned food, but the tuna was 47 cents per can, either 5.5 or 6 oz.

Unfortunately my cat had developed diarrhea. He splattered it all over 4 feet up the wall by the litter box 2 times, and when he goes  #2 it is so runny that it spreads all over his rear hocks. I had to change clothes 3 times this week after he pewped all over his legs then jumped on me covered in poo and litter :(
I guess he is not a fan! It happens![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128169[/emoji]

maria clair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The dry food that is the Holistic is fine but when I went to day to get it they no longer had it and I picked up a bag of their own - but I cannot find the source of it or where its made - anyone know?