Toys, Safety

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my 4th forum post already if you've seen my post already sorry I'm annoying haha, well, I recently got a kitten that's 7 weeks old now, we don't have many toys for her yet but I did google and make some very simple stuff like the straw with a knot and the toilet roll stuff haha, well I recently read that kittens like playing with stuff like bottle caps, milk cap ring and small plastic stuff like this. However, I was wondering since this stuff are so small and could be torn apart wouldn't it be dangerous for a kitten to play with since she could swallow these toys? I will be doing stuff so I can't just sit there watching her all day, so I would give her some toys to entertain herself when I'm not looking (school holidays atm so I can watch her every once in a while). So pretty much I was wondering if those objects are safe for a 7 week old kitten and what are some fun toys I can make for her Thanks so much, and sorry if anyone finds me annoying I just want to clear everything up since she's my first pet haha

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello BensonG24, you can get ping pong balls for her and also cardboard boxes 52 Reasons Why Cats Must Get Inside Boxes

Also check out this DIY thread here too :- Diy Ideas

They can get bored with certain toys pretty quick so have a variety for them and don’t give all at one shot. Switch toys every now and then.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 2 love milk rings and have since they were little. I just keep an eye on them and toss them when they start to get worn out. I also have to trim tails off the mice so they don't chew those off. I don't do the smaller rings like what come on orange juice cartons (I'm not sure if they are packaged the same as here in the US. But the smaller ones are probably not 2cm across.) Anything with feathers or string has to be locked away and only taken out for supervised play time. Mylar balls are a big hit. I see "kicker" toys are very popular too since she can wrestle those. I've never gotten one for my girls. They do wrestle and kick some of their larger catnip toys though.

Ping pong balls are a great idea for kittens! And I agree; rotate the toys so she doesn't get bored!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess its because she's an ex-stray but Gypsy isn't big on 'regular cat' toys but she is learning to play with orange plastic practice golf balls.
They have holes like wiffle balls so she can get her claws in them. She didn't care much for ping pong balls or catnip. She likes playing with bendy drinking straws and chasing a shoelace tied to a window shade wand.
Your little one might like a Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy
or a scratcher with belled balls inside, both would be safe to play with while you were gone. Keep us posted and show us photos, lots & lots of photos. What is your kittens name?

Stephen12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Choose toys that your cat can’t swallow. The thumb rule is, your cat should be able to pick up each toy and hold it in her mouth, and it should be large enough that she can’t swallow it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess its because she's an ex-stray but Gypsy isn't big on 'regular cat' toys but she is learning to play with orange plastic practice golf balls.
They have holes like wiffle balls so she can get her claws in them. She didn't care much for ping pong balls or catnip. She likes playing with bendy drinking straws and chasing a shoelace tied to a window shade wand.
Your little one might like a Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy
or a scratcher with belled balls inside, both would be safe to play with while you were gone. Keep us posted and show us photos, lots & lots of photos. What is your kittens name?
Thanks for the information, I named her Emi which is Japanese for Beautiful blessing, since I live in Australia western names are common so I wanted a name that would be less common here and easy to say haha plus I'm Asian so it works I guess xD