Toy/Teacup Breed Dogs and Cats

thecarocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New multi-pet household needs help! Cat bullys small dog that is half her size!

This is going to be long, but I think detail is important.

I have a five year-old yorkiepoo dog who is a tiny 4.5 lbs. He's been with me for four years. He grew up with cats and has always loved them, he really prefers them to most dogs because of size. He and my former roommate's 15lb Maine coon mix cat used to play, the cat chasing him around, and cuddle all the time.

He has learned that not all cats are his friends, but is generally good with them.

About two months ago we took in a stray female tabby, Sterling. She is about three 7 or 8 lbs, and absolutely gorgeous. Watson, my dog, is actually the one who found her. He dragged me over to a car and out popped a little starved cat.

She is very sweet and affectionate towards me and all other people (though slightly more hesitant around men). Watson, having lived with cats before, has always been curious but respectful of her. Keeps his distance, approached her slowly, etc. He is excitable like all yorkiepoos, but very well trained.
After, a few good swats he's not even all that interested in her anymore.

Sterling ended up being pregnant when we took her in. Whoops!
She and the kittens have a nest well out of the way that Watson cannot get to.

Here is the problem: I can find tons of articles about teaching dogs to be nice to cats, but not vice versa.

Sterling attacking Watson was a problem before kittens and now that the kittens are getting older and she is leaving the nest it is becoming a problem again.

Sterling stalks Watson around the house, jumps at him swats at him without provocation, sometimes even when he's asleep, and blocks him from getting into rooms or getting to me.
The poor little guy is pretty scared of her at this point.

We are using kitty caps so that she can't hurt him, but I would like for her to learn to get along with him, or at least ignore him.

I am adopting out all of the kittens, but would like to give Sterling a forever home.
I just hate that I brought this bully into my dog's life. I don't want him to be miserable or get sick from stress.

They both get plenty of exercise, but nothing seems to help.

Does she think he's a toy? I've had this problem with some of my friends' larger dogs.

Will she be nicer once she isn't pregnant/mothering kittens?

Has anyone had a similar problem or have any advice?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an anxiety producing way to have everyone co-existing.  While I've never had this problem, I would like to add comments since nobody else has yet.

You really can not teach a cat to get along with other types of animals.  Cats have a different way of learning than dogs do.  Dogs, by nature, are hard wired to follow orders; to be part of a pack.  Cats, are solitary in nature in comparison and do not have a need to be part of a group.

Considering that you found Sterling outdoors, it's very likely she was at least occasionally, had run ins with dogs on the street.   Having kittens also puts her into a "protector" role for the young ones. I'd imagine that she also had not been socialized completely - or certainly not in a home with other types of pets.  

It's probably going to be near impossible for you to get her to be comfortable around your dog(s) at this state; my understanding is that you need to introduce other kinds of pets to cats when they are themselves very young in order for them to recognize the other species as not a threat and a potential friend.

My suggestion, is to keep the dogs away from Sterling as much as is possible.  She might, once spayed, become calmer but it's still likely she will continue to dislike any dog; finding her a home with someone who does not own dogs is preferable but since you're caring for her now - it's up to you to protect her and her kittens.  

Are you able to give Sterling a safe room to be in where the dogs can't get to her and the kittens?  This would be ideal.  If not, teaching the dogs not to go near her is the best you might be able to do at this time.  

Also, were proper introductions done when you brought the cat home?  You may need to start from scratch on that if not.  Your dog should be able to follow any commands from you to "stay" and "sit" 

I don't know if you have found this article from TCS yet, but it could be helpful.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

Hopefully someone with this experience will chime in to help you further.