Toy Suggestions for Physical Activity

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are two things we can not do without around here, the cardboard corrugated scratcher like above (9.99 @ Walmart), and the kickeroo (cheap on Amazon), a long catnip filled stuffed toy that my cats kick for hours. You can also throw it to distract an aggressive mood or break up a pending fight. The small toys I rotate in and out, keeping most in a catnip filled bag to refresh them. That way they don't get tired of them.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cat Pals "Balls with Bells" toy is a huge hit with my 2-yr-old kitty, Milly.

Specifically the style ball found in the 4-pack shown on the left hand side image for it here at Amazon

She tears around the apartment chasing it and gets tons of exercise. It helps if you have an open floor plan. We have to put it away at night or she'll keep us awake! It's a very sturdy and nice-sounding bell ball. She doesn't act that way for very many "jingle bell balls", as I call them -- but THIS one... she cannot do without.
The others she yawns at

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirteen LOVES Da Bird and looks like a Cirque du Soleil dancer going after it. She will do these amazing leaps and spins trying to catch it. Sadly, my other cat, Attius, is petrified of it. He runs immediately under the bed if I bring it out and stays there until it's long gone. And naturally he is the one who is a smidge overweight and needs the exercise.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Still play with the ripple rug,shipping trash (their favorite) , tunnels, cubes, wand toys. Go Cat Catcher is their favorite wand toy and the boinks bamboozler

Attachments

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We stopped buying cat toys because all 3 prefer found or made toys to anything commercial. The absolute favorite toy of all of them is a crumpled up piece of paper. Sinbad and Tempest also both love little "mice" that I crochet for them. The one on the right is a little drawstring bag, we put crumpled newspaper in it so it crinkles when they bite down, and we just replace the paper as needed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I'm wondering what type of toys you can all recommend for an active kitten / adolescent cat...

My little guy loves Da Bird...but seems to be getting a little bored of it. He absolutely loves the laser pointer, which I do use when I want to tire him out. It's just a little sad because he can never actually catch it. So I switch from it to a toy he can physically hunt down before I finish play when using the laser pointer.

Other than that, the little mouse toys filled with catnip are a hit for maybe 1-2 days before he's like...."meh...whatevs"...

I want to keep him active and healthy. Indoor cats tend to gain weight easily when physical activity and play time are ignored. That's the last thing I want. Just not sure what else to keep him motivated.

What do you guys use?
My cat Maggie does not like the dabird. She loves the Go Cato Catcher wand toy. She likes to chase after it on the ground

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Maggie playing. jumps real high at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've bought toys, or had them given to me, and the best toys are the ones the cats invent for themselves, particularly: old tennis balls; shoelaces; wiffleballs; paper bags and boxes; palm tree seeds that are 1 cm or larger. (I have a palm garden and gather seeds.)

Or, anything else that can be batted about.

Do be careful if you have kittens. Some things get eaten. Things like holiday tinsel can be bad if swallowed.

Usually, live electrical cords get bitten only once.

Sophie121212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I'm wondering what type of toys you can all recommend for an active kitten / adolescent cat...

My little guy loves Da Bird...but seems to be getting a little bored of it. He absolutely loves the laser pointer, which I do use when I want to tire him out. It's just a little sad because he can never actually catch it. So I switch from it to a toy he can physically hunt down before I finish play when using the laser pointer.

Other than that, the little mouse toys filled with catnip are a hit for maybe 1-2 days before he's like...."meh...whatevs"...

I want to keep him active and healthy. Indoor cats tend to gain weight easily when physical activity and play time are ignored. That's the last thing I want. Just not sure what else to keep him motivated.

What do you guys use?
Hello! Something I love to do with my cats it's get their favourite treats ( dreamies ) usually. I hide them on the book shelf, inside boxes, all kinds of places, they spend a good hour on the hunt for them:)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Mousey (da bird counterpart) is a huge favorite at my house. He's already destroyed one, and a second is looking worse for wear. The third is still okay. I got refills via amazon, but I check Petco etc whenever I'm there & will stock up when I see them. Luciano would destroy da bird as well, but I keep that one out of reach & use it more sparingly. I 'splurged' (really not that much more than da bird wand/wire) on Jackson Galaxy's telescoping wand/wire & replaced that caterpillar thing that came on it with mousey. It gives a longer range/reach for flinging & when telescoped in can be played with by my cat on his own if he wants. It has a better action when flinging than the original wand/wire toy I bought.
Wouldn't the nerf arrows or whatever they are be a choking hazard?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So they sell Da Bird replacements at Petco in the US? I'm in Canada but sometimes I go shopping in the States. It might be worthwhile for me to check it out. They sell them here at Global Pet Foods but I rarely see the mouse.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Amusingly, my cat has recently developed a fondness for a plastic croquet ball...

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish Luciano would start chasing balls. The Jackson Galaxy version of da mouse broke (wire separated from wand) & now I can't find the wand anywhere. I tied the wire around a rung on one of my loft ladders & every once in a while Luciano will bat at da mouse that way. The back up version has about 1/4 of da mouse left on it. Da bird's string broke; I have to try and use a new string to reattach & see if that works.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you mean the Go Cat Catcher, I have had the wand and the mouse chewed up. Duck tape solves the wand probably and replacement parts from Cool Cyber Cats at Amazon

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish Luciano would start chasing balls. The Jackson Galaxy version of da mouse broke (wire separated from wand) & now I can't find the wand anywhere. I tied the wire around a rung on one of my loft ladders & every once in a while Luciano will bat at da mouse that way. The back up version has about 1/4 of da mouse left on it. Da bird's string broke; I have to try and use a new string to reattach & see if that works.
My cat chases balls and lands in the shipping trash-loves it. Does not like all balls. I bought some that are tiny rubber that I got at a grocery store and bounce high, small mice that make a slight noise, stuffed animals. All other balls she does not like.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Take note on toys with string by tying onto something for your cat to play with. It is a hazardous way to play as the string can get entangled round the neck, paws, legs and claws and if it's wound up to tight it may block blood circulation or choking even if the string is detached but still wound tightly on the body parts.

It's better to supervise play if you need to do this if not remove it when you are not around. SAFETY FIRST!

You can use any soft thin rod to replace the wand, it does not necessarily to be the original. I broke a few wands myself and I just get a thin stick and replace the string and it's as a good as new :wink: