Tough times recently

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having the majority of my retired show cats being over 10 years old is getting tougher now. In the past month we have dealt with some major health issues. Right after Thanksgiving Boo was terribly constipated. After a trip to the vet I also discovered he was suffering from Chronic Renal Failure. He will be 14 this year. Next came Zippy. She will be 12. She developed a bladder infection and stopped eating around Christmas. I syringe fed her for a week as well as giving her the antibiotic the vet prescribed. She finally started eating again after I talked to the vet about using an appetite stimulant, which he okayed. She is 100% recovered, but Christmas was NOT fun! Now I notice my Lily who is 17 1/2 is having vision problems. Her depth perception is off and it also seems her hearing is going. If we get though 2020 without losing someone it will be a major miracle, but that is highly unlikely. Below are my babies that are having issues. I am not asking for suggestions, just venting.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The hardest part of loving cats is losing them to illness or old age. We become so bonded with them that when their health declines it takes a piece of our heart. Hugs to you and your beautiful feline family. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All your Persians are gorgeous !
Thank you. When I posted this I was feeling sorry for myself. This is the bad part of having pets - they just never seem to live long enough. Because I was a breeder, I have cats close in age and I am not the type of person to pet them out when I retired them (they are my babies). Hence, I have multiple old cats at the same time. Just something I have to deal with - but I also tend to whine about it on the bad days! ;) Each and everyone of them has a special place in my heart and it does hurt to see them not 100% healthy.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. When I posted this I was feeling sorry for myself. This is the bad part of having pets - they just never seem to live long enough. Because I was a breeder, I have cats close in age and I am not the type of person to pet them out when I retired them (they are my babies). Hence, I have multiple old cats at the same time. Just something I have to deal with - but I also tend to whine about it on the bad days! ;) Each and everyone of them has a special place in my heart and it does hurt to see them not 100% healthy.

You arent whining.....we understand.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's great that you keep them after they retire. <3 I always wondered how the breeders could pet them out after years of being together. Try to enjoy your time with them even during the hard times. My 3 are still young (to me 4-7 yrs, non cat people don't agree lol) but are kinda close in age so I'm not looking forward to their aging process.