Tough decisions

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You say you need to look for the spots with black light. Does that mean they're very small puddles in lost of places? How do you know it's her and not one of the other cats? I'm thinking maybe some cat (possibly Aramis but could be another cat) is suffering from some sort of UTI.

Because she goes right outside the box, I'm thinking maybe she feels trapped inside the box. This is very common with hooded boxes but can also happen with regular boxes that are placed in a corner. Perhaps you can try moving the box she goes next to just a little bit. No drastic change, just to make sure that it doesn't feel cornered. She may like the sense of security that a covered box provides, but she needs to feel that she has an open escape route out of the box. This is especially important if the other cats hang around when she goes.

How did she do when you tried confinement? Did it make her use the box while confined? How about right after?

Also, never try to put her in the litter box. Cats don't like that and if she does have a sense of being trapped there it will only increase her fear of the box.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot believe a vet would even suggest you putting her to sleep!
I would maybe go to another vet to see what they have to say.

us cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can not believe a vet told her to put the kitty down. My Vet has suggested to put one down when there is no hope of living. No cure No treatment. It is a hard decision to make even then. A Vet usually does not suggest that because your his livelyhood. I would be hard pressed to put one down for peeing on the floor. I have a Pom (dog) she is on Lasix & pees like a running faucet. I just deal with it. I do have hardwood floors & thats alot easier than carpet. Hopefully it all works out for her & the Kitty..Prayers

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that the smell of whatever you clean the litterboxes with is too strong smelling? That could cause a cat to avoid using a littler box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only clean the litter boxes with water and baking soda. Once every two months or so, I will use dish washing liquid.

I am going to get some linoleum and put it in their closet. Maybe she'll stop then. Or move to a different spot. We'll have to see. I might try drugging her if she doesn't stop.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If her problems is stress related, using drugs to relax her may actually help. One clue to telling how stressed she is: if her pupils are constantly or very often dialated, even when there's nothing there that should make her frightened or excited, she may be overstressed. Of course, you would need your vet to help you there with deciding on the right medication and the dosage.

Can you please go back to my previous post here and see if it makes sense and if you can let me in on some of the details.

candy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad that you are trying to deal with this problem instead of giving up. Last week, the kitty in our shelter passed. Poor guy was just too sad...now he is free. Good luck.