Tough decision...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the idea of two as well. They'll keep each other company while you and your husband are at work all day.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind no matter what you wind up with. If you go with one kitten now (and another up the road); IMO its best to start off with a male (neutered) rather then female. Many females like being boss cats and you might have a problem with the female accepting another kitten/cat coming in.

Males usually accept anyone (male or female) into the house and are more outgoing. Females seem to be more territorial. This comes from my experience in cats over the years - my males accepted anyone; females were more resentful - in fact my Russian Blue female had to be placed in an only cat home where she was spoiled because she would not allow another female in the house (I was going into breeding rexes).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will also highly recommend checking out Petfinder.com and if you can get two, definately get two!! They keep each other company when youa ren't around or are sleeping. Plus Bengals are a little more high energy then most cats aren't they? I would want them to have each other to play with rather then destroy the house or something

On a side note, Tabby is a COAT PATTERN and a Bengal or Siamese are BREEDS. The Siamese mix was probably a Lynx Point Siamese or just a mixed breed altogether. Tabby coat patterns are all different shapes and sizes, Bengals can have tabby coat patterns

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats and Egyptian Maus are spotted breeds without the wild blood. Ocicats will look closer to Bengals though. I think 2 kittens are a wonderful idea.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the SOS area there's a thread right now - there is a 3 year old Bengal girl that needs a home...her owner passed away...

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey now-don't talk her out of a Bengal!
Yes, bengals are, as a rule, very active and playful kitties. However, I think very few resort to pulling out their hair. Hair pulling/licking to such an extent is a behavioral neurosis, which any cat could exhibit, not a breed trait specific to bengals.
I have seven bengals. Four are under a year old now, and each kitten and adult has a distinct personality and activity level. While there are a couple of my cats who need 'extra attention' and playtime, I would say most of them would fit it into normal person's life quite well, as long as someone interacted with them daily and offered bedtime too. If you work ten hour days and want to come home, throw some food in a bowl and go to bed, then, no, a bengal is all wrong, but, heck, any pet would be all wrong.
I think Kai bengals mentioned laser light toys-these are perfect for fifteen minute sessions once a day, or most bengals will play fetch-this simply requires you to sit in a chair and throw the ball.
Also, when you tell a breeder what your lifestyle is like and what you want, I am willing to bet many bengal breeders will be able to match you to a kitten. there is likely to be one at the cattery that is more lapcat than mountain lion, and the person who has been caring for them from birth is the one to know which kitten it is. I have one kitten now of the four that is the snuggle pie of the bunch-he plays like a normal dsh, nothing extreme, and his real mission in life is to climb up on a lap and make biscuits. I bet he's not the only one!
Talk to some breeders. Your perfect bengal is out there!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would suggest finding a bengal rescue too.

i also think having a male first is a good choice. i had two females growing up and they were so aloof and territorial.
i now have two males and they are SO lovey and accepted each other very quickly.

I had also thought I'd only have one cat. After 4 months of one cat we got another because the first cat was lonely and would meow and meow no matter if we played with him or not. I can safely say that Stoli is MUCH happier now that he has a buddy. He definitely gets into LESS trouble now too.

sinbadsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

On a side note, Tabby is a COAT PATTERN and a Bengal or Siamese are BREEDS. The Siamese mix was probably a Lynx Point Siamese or just a mixed breed altogether. Tabby coat patterns are all different shapes and sizes, Bengals can have tabby coat patterns
You're right, Jen -- I should have said that Frosty is apparently a mix of tabby DSH and bluepoint Siamese (traditional or applehead type), with a very thick, plush undercoat. I'll never know for sure what breed or mix her parents were.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank for you all your suggestions everyone. Just keep in mind im not getting a cat for a few months so im in no rush. Im not indefinatley getting a Bengal, im almost sure im not (Bengals are too expensive, plus the personality...), but like you guys said there are cats out there that resemble Bengals so I will look into that. In all honesty id much rather have a cat known to be playful and gentle than get one purely based on its looks. So it doesnt have to look wild, that would just be a plus. Most of you are urging me to get 2 cats, it seems kind of difficult to go from having no cats to having 2 all the sudden..plus it would be really expensive. Are you guys sure a cat wouldnt do good on its own? atleast for a couple years? Like I said we had 1 cat for over 5 years until we put another cat into the picture and they HATE eachother (both girls though).

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Thank for you all your suggestions everyone. Just keep in mind im not getting a cat for a few months so im in no rush. Im not indefinatley getting a Bengal, im almost sure im not (Bengals are too expensive, plus the personality...), but like you guys said there are cats out there that resemble Bengals so I will look into that. In all honesty id much rather have a cat known to be playful and gentle than get one purely based on its looks. So it doesnt have to look wild, that would just be a plus. Most of you are urging me to get 2 cats, it seems kind of difficult to go from having no cats to having 2 all the sudden..plus it would be really expensive. Are you guys sure a cat wouldnt do good on its own? atleast for a couple years? Like I said we had 1 cat for over 5 years until we put another cat into the picture and they HATE eachother (both girls though).
I definitely think getting two cats at the start is better than adding a cat years later. Most of the kitten/cat problems that pop up on the board are older cats not accepting the new kitten. Kitten/kitten relationships are really relaxed and no one is really worried about being dominant at the beginning.

I thought for sure that having two cats would be WAY more expensive....but it really isn't at all.....let's say Stoli eats 2 $.75 cans of food a day, and Luxor does too..... that's 3 dollars a day....but if you think about it....a 3oz can of food for $.75 better be freakin' gourmet for that price.

The vet bills aren't that bad because usually you are just taking one in at a time...and some vets do exams for multiple cats and can give you a cut rate...

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two kittens is easier than one, by far, but sure you can raise a perfectly happy healthy animal if you only get one. Thousands, no, millions, of people have done it. two is twice the fun, and they entertain each other. You will scoop twice the poop, though, AND...in my area, and many others, there are no "discounts" for having more than one, even if you bring them in together. Depending where you live, it can be tremendously more expensive to maintain an extra animal.
Example: yesterday I took two kittens to my regular vet for 2nd series shots, fecals, worming, and microchipping. Cost each: 156 dollars. Now multiply by two. (yes, that's over 300 bucks for routine health care) Now consider-that is just one visit. Tonight I will be running in with a kitten who has an inflamed eye. Not routine, but these unexpected things happen and should be planned for in your cat budget. One is more cost effective, plain and simple.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup can't say anything there, one is more cost effective.....

but, things happen that you don't plan for and your one cat could have a 1500 vet bill like Stoli did in Jan, or nothing could happen except for routine checkups. The routine stuff is easy to plan for....with one or two cats. But it's the OMG moments that can cost alot.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest 2 kittens also. The financial end is important though... so if only 1 is in your budget, then I guess that's the way to go.

I agree w/Renovia about the food cost.

The vet costs can vary a lot. I took 4 kittens in for shots in January and it was $125 total. At a cat only clinic, too.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, things that you can plan ahead for and budget for are 'easy' to pay for, it's the stuff that crops up unexpectedly that is scary.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess you have to break it down into a list of importance. Is it more important to have a kitten which only lasts for approx. 6 months before it looks like an adult or have a young adult that has a more known personality and a great chance of what you want for the rest of his life? In other words...

Kitten vs Personality match

If it's a kitten then you must realize that for the next 20 years you may be disappointed in the cat not being what you were looking for. It's why personally I prefer cats older than a year old.

You may want to look into kittens/cats that have been in foster homes for awhile. Those you find at shelters may not show their true personalities due to stress. Those in foster homes eventually open up and will be themselves. Currently I have a foster who is a 10 month old seal point male who is not too people oriented. Granted, he is still young and may become more affectionate as he matures, but because he is still young it's an unknown.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Concerning the idea of 2 kittens - some shelters require it now! At least I've been told the Human Society here in the Seattle area does. They don't for older cats - a lot of them are used to being only cats so that's fine (and they are much more difficult to find homes for). But for kittens, they want you to adopt 2 at once. I think it's not only so they have company, but also so they can get rid of more kittens - LOL.

We got two Bengal "teenagers" from pure breed rescue. Their first owner turned out to be too allergic to keep them. Because we got two at once, they have not required nearly as much time on our part. Sure, we play with them, but they spend hours playing with each other, so they burn off lots of that bengal energy that way.