Touching Paws

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm posting this in behavior and not grooming because I don't need help with the actual cutting of his claws. Most threads I've read end up as advice on how to trim the claws.

Small background so you understand my issue. I adopted an older cat. He's 10 and his previous owner had dementia. Because of that we have no idea how he was treated or what he ate or if he went to the vet... the owner didn't know the answers to those questions when he surrendered Peeves. Peeves had some unusual issues the vets struggled to explain, like he had a dozen teeth pulled because they were so bad but his gums were perfectly healthy. (That's why he does that thing with his mouth in my avatar picture)

Anyway, he is very uncomfortable having his paws touched. We have managed to cut his claws a few times and he actually seems to like the clippers and rubs all over them when they are out. But he gets very upset when you touch his paws at all. We've spent months trying to rub a paw and then his chin, or touch his paws when he's tired or give him treats after touching his paws. (He's a super picky eater so only crunchy treats work. He even hates soft food so I'm limited with that.)

After months of trying he still gets mad and sometimes nips at even a gentle touch. So I'm looking for ideas on how to get an older cat used to paw touching. He's my 1st cat with claws in a long time so I never had to worry about this before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Perhaps he isn't used to having his paws touched - but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given someone was clipping his claws before you. Maybe it was done at the vets, and he was sedated?

So, no records available of his vet visits from before you took him in? Is there some vets local to his previous owner that you could contact to see if they might have some records about him?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about giving him a calming treat or supplement shortly before cutting his claws? Our cat was fussy with this, and we found the treats we used to be very effective at taking the edge off so we could work quickly, without him getting all worked up and stressed. And when we were done lots of praise and other treats were given. After some time, he would usually let us cut his claws without having to give him the calm treat before hand, but of course, he expected, and we obliged ;), the treats after! lol! :D
The treat is called "Head to Tail, Calming".

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm beginning to think a lot of cats don't like their paws being touched. My Ruby girl certainly doesn't. I adopted her almost 5 years ago, and she was 2 or 3-ish at the time. Since then, the only time she ever had her claws trimmed at all once when when she was sedated at the vets to get a tiny cyst removed. That was probably 3 1/2 years ago now.

I have tried to get her used to me touching her paws, but as soon as my hand touches her paw, even if she's sound asleep, she jerks her paw away and tucks it under her.

So what I do is keep the clippers handy and try to clip a claw when she is sleeping on my lap. Sometimes it's successful, most times it's not. And it's hard to keep track of which claws I've done, and I always wonder if I've gotten them all.

So as you can see, I don't have any real suggestions, but I do sympathize with you.

Some people recommend the burrito method:

And there are cat grooming bags:

But I think both of those would totally traumatize Ruby, so I don't think I would ever try them, or recommend them for a timid or nervous cat.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried having someone else hold them in a different position? I know it seems odd but this has been our experience. Mizu, who tends to like to be on my shoulder anyway, prefers that I hold her that way and someone else does the clipping (usually my sister when she's visiting.) Raja...is more difficult. We've tried lap, shoulder, burrito...nothing really worked until yesterday, my niece held her with her hind paws on the table and elevated her front paws. For some unknown reason (cats...:gaah:) this made her completely calm and still. I don't think she loved the experience (sad little meows...) she remained still and didn't pull her paws back or become difficult. Worth a shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't had luck with getting him to eat calming treats. I even soaked them in tuna with no luck. Usually I hold him and my son cuts his nails since he's most attached to my son but that still takes a long time.

I don't know enough about the previous owner to find the vet, all I know was what the shelter told me.

I have not tried the burrito or different positions yet but will certainly do that. I appreciate the suggestions. I agree with rubysmama though. I think maybe some cats just hate it, just like some hate belly rubs. The weird part is that he is constantly poking people with his paws to get their attention. You just can't touch back. Lol