Totally confused - best diet for a young male cat?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make it simple, the best diet for a young male cat is a wet only diet.

If you can afford grain-free, go for it, but I prefer to concentrate on eliminating corn, soy and by-products and buying foods with the highest protein content I can.

-----
Responding to other posts:

I try to aim for my 5.5oz cans to be less than $1.10 and I feed good brands. I stalk stores for sales and buy in bulk when I find a good deal. I fact, I'm about to browse petfooddirect.com to order my next batch that will last me many months. And since most cats only need 1 can per day after kittenhood, feeding wet really isn't pricey.

On the other hand, if you have the time and dedication to feed a raw diet, I say go for it!

I have an FIV+ cat, so I'm not sure feeding raw would be okay (though I think I shall make a post about this so as not to hijack your thread), but if I had my own freezer and a healthy cat, I would do it myself.

Originally Posted by katherinel345

Thank you! That is helpful. So is it ok to buy meat at the grocery store? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't..
It depends on how finicky you want to be. Now, my cat eats better than I do, so if I fed him raw, I'd probably order rabbits and birds off the internet that were small farm raised with no anti-botics, etc. But is it fine to feed them the same meat you pick up for yourself at the grocery store? Of course.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katherinel345

Thank you! That is helpful. So is it ok to buy meat at the grocery store? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't..
Absolutely.

AC

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

Now, my cat eats better than I do, so if I fed him raw, I'd probably order rabbits and birds off the internet that were small farm raised with no anti-botics, etc. But is it fine to feed them the same meat you pick up for yourself at the grocery store? Of course.
^ But don't feed exclusively rabbit, as they are deficient in taurine compared to other meats, which often doesn't show symptoms outwardly until heart failure. Meat alone is also insufficient to live off of. These are all the little things you have to know if you want to create your own diet, so be sure you are very educated before attempting it IMO, and follow sanitary preparation procedures so as not to subject yourself to salmonella poisoning.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

To make it simple, the best diet for a young male cat is a wet only diet.
That goes for females too, right?