Tortoiseshell or Calico

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell because your photos don't show the whole body...
I thought Calico meant the cat has patches of red and patches of black, along with white, and Tortoiseshell is more of a blending of the colors. So if there are big patches of each color, it's a Calico.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If her body is just like her face, she is definitely a beautiful calico.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I can see, calico. If her body is the same colors but more mixed up, could be tortoiseshell. A tortie is a calico after the colors have been run through the blender.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically a tortoiseshell & white. Calicos are basically a white cat with patches of black and red; so mostly white. You have a tortie that has white on her chest and belly and feet.

If put in a show, she would be called a tortie and white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the largest patches of color are the white chest/belly and feet, and the face the rest of her is mixed so well that it reminded me of freckles. I named her Freckles. Maybe these pictures will help. I think she is really beatiful. I love taking pictures of her face.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Technically a tortoiseshell & white
I agree with GK, tortie and white.

She's very pretty

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Freckles is a very pretty tortoiseshell with white

Freckles really is quite stunning. She has such unique markings on her face and her coloring is just beautiful. I love both tortie and calico kitties (and even have a tortie of my own -- Emory
) and your sweet girl is certainly no exception.

I'd love to see more pics of her. I hope you will keep sharing both photos and stories about Freckles.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a point Lyn - the associations call it different. If you think about any color with white you would have black & white, brown tabby & white, tortie & white. And in all cases the amount of color to white would vary as much as a calico vs tortie/white vs van color pattern.

In the end she is a unique marked cat and maybe the owner might consdier putting her in a cat show in the future - I love the face markings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She wouln't do well in a show. She broke her pelvic last year (she fell out of a tree) and it seems to still bother her sometimes. When it's hurting she will swat anyone who touches her back end. It took a while but we nursed her through it and the vet says it healed great (no lasting problems other then pain). It seems to be the worse when it's cold or rainy. She's also a liitle bully, she keeps everyone in their place (even the dogs, lol). She's wonderful though, I just adore her.