Tortie or calico?

kgropp16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading an article about tortoiseshell cats which stated that torties typically have little to no white in their coats. Moscato has a white throat, paws, and belly, so it got me thinking: what if she isn't a tortie after all? 

I googled "dilute calico" and some of the images seem to resemble her coloration a lot more. She definitely has more pronounced diluted orange coloration, especially on her legs, head, and face. 

However, her back is mostly grey with subtle dilute orange highlights throughout. To me, certain parts look dilute tortie, certain parts look dilute calico.

What do you all think? Is it possible to have a mixture of both? View media item 349415

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To us in the USA, she's a dilute calico.

I believe elsewhere there isn't such a differentiation between the two but I've always been taught that if the cat has any white, it is not a Tortoiseshell.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a difference between "tortoiseshell and white" and "calico". Well, in general parlance there is---I think in show terms, they're all called tortoiseshell and white. So, I would call a cat calico if she has large distinct patches of color with white. I would call her tortie and white if her color patches are more brindled.

So for your girl, I'd call her dilute tortie with white :D.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say Dilute Calico as well but some of them can have little twists

there might be a name for markings on forehead nose?

Calico is a coat with patches white included

Adorable kitty!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Diluted tortie with white here too.   I was taught for calico its not enough with three colors (which is another everyday name for them) but the colors shall be well separated in its own fields.   So here, even if her spots are somewhat separated,  I do see her as a tortie.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Diluted tortie with white here too.   I was taught for calico its not enough with three colors (which is another everyday name for them) but the colors shall be well separated in its own fields.   So here, even if her spots are somewhat separated,  I do see her as a tortie.
Yes, I agree.  Calicos should have very distinct patches of color.