Toroiseshell or no?

rayvenstar101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Harley has had five kittens, four males and one female. I believe two males may be tortoiseshell, one diluted and the other chocolate tortoiseshell tabby. The mother is tabby and white and cats that fathered her kittens are gray and white, and the other is just a dark tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rayvenstar101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the diluted male.

This is the chocolate one

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Congratulations with your new arrivals :clap: :D

To produce red or tortoiseshell kittens one of the parents must be red or tortie themselves.
Red is a dominant colour and cannot be carried or hidden it must express itself on the cat.

So unless one of parents is red or tortie it is genetically impossible to produce offspring that are red or tortie.

Hope this helps ;)

rayvenstar101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You see that's where the problem lies, I have a red tom, but he's more diluted than red, he could've got her. I never saw it happen, but the other two were a definite.

rayvenstar101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That's the other possible father, Thor. I don't know if they did, but they could've.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just had a look at the pics you posted. What beautiful babies :clap:

The blue one's are blue tabbies. They are what's classed as a warm blue which is why they have that beautiful apricot colour to set off their tabby stripes.. Apposed to a colder blue which has a more colder creamy colour to go with their colder blue shade.

Same with the brown tabby

Warmer brown tabbies have a almost red undercoat with black stripes.
Where a colder brown tabby will have an almost grey/silver undercoat with black stripes.

See the boy in my avatar pic

He's a very warm brown tabby - His undercoat is that red especially on his back and sides that you could mistake him for a tortie :D

Last edited:

rayvenstar101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I could be mistaking the brown one? I wanted to ask before I get too excite about my babies being torties lol Thank you :) I'm very proud of her. This is her first litter. Your avatar cat is very pretty :D

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The brown looks like a brown tabby and white, and as GemsGem stated, a warm brown.

I don't see any torties here. :)
But if any of them are Thor's, and resulted in red being added to the mix, the only one that would have red is the female.
Is the brown one the female?