Tornado Watch today

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Central PA is under a tornado watch today til 5:00 p.m. this afternoon. Not a pretty thing.

I wish I could go home, so that if anything were to happen, I could get the furkids in carriers in the basement.

It just looks nasty outside today. Nasty.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are also in a tornado watch today Pam, I can just see my mobile home go flying in the air to Oz with my little Toto cat, Autumn

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Great pictures! That's about what it looked like around here, too, although we had a wee bit of yellow-green in our clouds. That's what bothered me....the yellowish tinge. But we were fine. Rained like crazy for a while, though. Then the sun came out.

However, fall is definitely here now. We were back into the low 40s this morning. And our high is to be only in the mid-60s today.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ew no funny color clouds here.  I wouldn't like that either....we'd have been in the basement if we had one!  They were just dark here.  On the blue purple side.  It stayed cloudy here the rest of the day; but around sunset the whole sky turned a shade of purple.  It was odd; even DD noticed.  DH said he briefly saw the sunset like it was glowing through the clouds.  He couldn't see the sun; but the shape of it.  He said it was really unusual looking.

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooooh I see those pics and thank god that we never get tornados here near the Rockies. Pray for your safety and that of your fur babies!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i think we get a small tornado in the area every few years or so here.  Or some straight line wind damage.  But where I'm from in Upstate New York has had a few in the last few years as well!  I guess it's not quite hilly enough to prevent them all; but then my in-laws live in the Smokies and they've had them there.  It's definitely one weather detail I could live without!!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooooh I see those pics and thank god that we never get tornados here near the Rockies. Pray for your safety and that of your fur babies!!!
There was one almost on top of Pike's Peak this year. I know you are way north of there. However, tornados can form anywhere there is a thunderstorm and wind shear.

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've only lived in this area for two years. But my ol'man has been here all his life. He says he's never heard of one happening so I'm good with that. I think it's basically that we are so close to the mountains that the wind can't pick up enough force to get a funnel cloud going. No matter. The thought scares the hell out of me. I worry about everyone I know down south.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here in Tornado Alley, it is a way of life to have a small one within 25 miles at least once a year. I have had them close enough, my place was at the edge of the hail core.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tornadoes cause really localized damage (except for those rare massive ones that take out a whole town!)---your neighbor could get flattened and your house not even touched. I guess that's better than, say, a bad hurricane that takes out a huge area, or a flood, or even a bad earthquake. . .but tornadoes are still scarier :lol3:. I guess because of the suddenness and violence. And lack of warning. At least you know when a hurricane is coming.

We were under a tornado watch the day this was first posted, too. But nothing came of it in this area. A small tornado went across the interstate south of here, knocked over 2 semis and took out some billboards and fences, but nobody was badly injured, thankfully.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right Willowy.  If I've read right; most tornadoes come out of the south west.  For me that's the bedroom side of the house so virtually a blind spot.  Also there is a good tree line that way that would prevent me from seeing it with my eyes.  I also don't get any local stations on TV or have a smartphone.  My kindle needs the wifi to get online.  I do get texts from the Weather Channel though.  I'm thinking of investing in one of those good antennas to pick up the local stations.  I know one local station broadcasts live online; but I don't know if my kindle will stream it. I should try!  I've watched from my computer once this spring because they were following a potential funnel in the dark of night; that was headed pretty much in this direction.  It fizzled before it got here and that area of storm passed a bit south of my house.  Thank the Lord.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we are having bad weather in my area, I have one window open to the NWS, one to Weatherunderground, the TV showing a local station, and the radar feed from weatherunderground on the Nook Color.

There was a bad tornado several years ago in Mena, Ar and I tracked the supercell that it came from all the way from central Oklahoma to Mena. The people there said they had no warning. The local TV station was ignoring this area, and concentrating on a line of non-severe storms in Fayetteville.

I have lived here long enough to recognize the change in wind direction, pressure and rain/hail patterns that precede a tornado close to me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good skill to have!  The parents of some friends of ours live in Oklahoma City now.  Both are native to the area but their kids grew up here.  They ran a singles group we were all part of way back when so I know them too.  I was nervous not hearing from them during those earlier tornadoes this year.  One did damage farther down their street.