Tornado Warning/Watch

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rock&Fluff'smom

I hope you all stay safe!!! I was wondering...I live in an upstairs apartment..I live in tornado alley myself...is upstairs safe or what??? Tornadoes scare me to pieces!

btw~ we are under a thunderstorm warning until 12:30 a.m
No, you really need to be on the lowest floor. I'm not sure how to accomplish this, knowing how most apts are constructed since there really isn't a first floor public area you could go to. The breezeways I see wouldn't be a good idea at all. Perhaps you have someone in a first floor apt that you could make arrangements with in the event of a tornado warning?

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

No, you really need to be on the lowest floor. I'm not sure how to accomplish this, knowing how most apts are constructed since there really isn't a first floor public area you could go to. The breezeways I see wouldn't be a good idea at all. Perhaps you have someone in a first floor apt that you could make arrangements with in the event of a tornado warning?
That's a good idea. Perhaps she could write the landlord and ask him if he could contact the first floor neighbors and set up an emergency "shelter" for people who have no where else to go!

Several years ago in TN I was living in a rented trailer of all things... when one horrible night something like more than 50 tornados touched down in the state in one night. Power was out all over town, and since the radio was just one long emergency signal, they let us out of work early. I went to a friends house (I was a nervous wreck and needed to smoke- would've gone to my mom's except she didn't allow it), they had a basement. It came close but nothing happened there. Meanwhile at my mother's, softball size hail destroyed the roof, cracked windows that were 5 feet off the ground (it bounced back up that high and hard!) and destroyed my sister's car because the garage was already full and it had to be left outside. That could've been my car, too!