Tornado Warning, Los Angeles/Orange Counties NOW

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're under a tornado watch down in San Diego County again. I didn't get to see DH all weekend because the base kept calling him in.

the_datacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well despite the constant rain.
I've managed to get out.

Yesterday I spent the afternon at Santa Monica beach. The rain took a break and even the sun came out for a short while. After that I went to the movies. But while one way to the movies I passed by my neighborhood. There seemed to be an enourmous amount of traffic. I later heard there had been flooding in the area. While out at the movies and at dinner, the weather calmed down for a while cause there was no rain. I didn't get back home untill midnight. Good thing though cause the power had gone out at around 6 PM.(Probably due to the flooding) I would have gone crazy(lol) without any TV and computer.

I really do hope this rain goes away though. I getting tired and bored.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone is OK!! I live in Sacramento and yesterday a tornado did touch down here. A car was picked up when the tornado touched down and the driver was still in it. Luckily no one was seriously injured and there was only minor damages to serveral businesses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, all.

Not so bad regarding constant rain today, but lots of flooding, and attendant damage. Not so many road closures in my area, but still massive problems getting around. I even paid a special messenger to take something from my office down to Santa Monica because I didn't want to make the drive...and that's saying a lot right there.

We are still on Tornado watch...and here is a picture of the radar for right now. See those red cells in the midst of the yellow? Those are severe thunderstorms, w/ hail imbedded. The storm is generally moving onshore to the north....

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar/latest.../si.knkx.shtml

New cells are being spawned constantly, because of the spin this low has. And it hasn't quite yet managed to get on-shore. The temperatures have dropped as the wind's picked up. In my area, something like 49 degrees, with winds steady at 20-25 from the south, gusting to over 40 at the moment. They are saying that the wind can gust upwards of 60 MPH during some thunderstorms.

The GOOD NEWS is that we should be getting spot clearing tomorrow, with mostly fair by Saturday. I've read at least one long term forecast that predicts a similar storm for next Monday or Tuesday, which seems to be accurate from the large range satellites I've seen, but a whole lot can change between now and then.

Sigh...I love weather, but this is enough for now. I'm looking up data on the Great Flood of 1862...and I will post what I find. Some are saying we are in a similar pattern that they've discovered during that time...and they may be right.

And what's just absolutely fascinating (in a clinical sort of way) is that we're not even in a significant El Nino year...no-one expected this whatsoever, so they have no idea about long term stuff. For example, in strong El Nino years, we usually don't have a heavy hurricane season...but they can't say this for 2005 - because it's not a strong El Nino.

Wow...

Best-
Michele