Torn with Feral Placement

Amanda26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have been stuck on figuring out what to do with 2 feral/ semi feral cats I have been working with. I have been burnt out from work and I think that is why I am struggling so much :/

They were living outside my apartment complex when I moved in 2 years ago. My neighbors and I fed them and they had an outdoor shelter. I thought they were fine living outside together and I didn't intend to take them in. Oliver was friendly and can be pet, and Ginger would approach for food but could not be touched. They are older cats, 6-10.

Over the summer Oliver developed a severe upper respiratory infection and I brought him to the emergency vet. I had to keep him in for 10 days to give him an antibiotic. He was somewhat happy inside and I could pet him and pick him up. I let him back out because Ginger missed him. A few weeks later he got stuck in the complex boiler room for a few days and almost died from dehydration.

I brought him to get a dental and took him inside to recover. He was so happy inside I didn't want to put him back out. He has now been inside for a few months and is doing great.

I lured Ginger inside too because he was all alone and I intended to take the cats to a feral sanctuary. But that fell through and now they are both inside.

Oliver acts like a normal domesticated cat, Ginger sits at the bottom of the cat tree, and if I approach he goes under the radiator. He comes out to eat in the morning.

Ginger uses the litter box but he cannot be touched at all. To take him to the vet I had to sedate him and use cat catching gloves and I almost didn't get him because he fought so hard. I have been working with him for 2 years and still cannot touch him. Oliver was born inside and was abandoned, and Ginger was born outside.

A boss of a friend is interested in adopting both cats. But when I spoke with him he didn't seem to have knowledge of feral cats, and was not concerned when I said that Ginger was feral and could not be touched. He lives in an apartment in Brooklyn. I am concerned that it may not work out because the cats are okay with me but are terrified of other people.

There is also the possibility to send Ginger alone to a different feral cat sanctuary. That way I could keep Oliver as he is very attached to me.

Also after bringing Ginger in my existing cat allergy got much worse and I have had chest tightness and wheezing 🤧

I already had 1 house cat and I was successfully managing allergy symptoms with him.

I know this was a lot. I need to make a decision very soon and I'm overwhelmed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Oliver and Ginger should be kept together if you noted that Ginger was stressed by the separation. An outside cat would have to be significantly to show it to people.

This post may be of assistance to you: Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY! Perhaps your co-worker would be willing to come on to the forum and read about it?

Can you feed them the new allergy reducing food from Purina? https://www.purina.ca/pro-plan/cats/liveclear-cat-allergen-reducing-food

I also use these which I find very helpful: DANDER REDUCING WIPES FOR CATS

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Ginger hasn't been able to be washed yet, then it will be especially bad since his hair will be full of outdoor allergens.