Torn On What To Do With Feral Cat

yeagercc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I leave food out for all the wild animals and strays. One of my regular visitors is a cat I call tiger kitty, a very large tabby. I've only known him several months or 6 months at best. I call him "he" but I don't know that for sure. He comes around 3 times a week (maybe more that I just don't see him). He acts very friendly meowing and coming up close waiting for me to pour the food out. He rubs my legs and hisses at the same time like he wants to show affection, but is also very on guard--maybe a bad experience. When he eats, also on high alert often looking up and around to make sure no one is coming. He will roll around at my feet and acts very content. I hesitate to pet him because once he tricked me into it and hissed and I thought he was going to bite me and so I just refrain and let him rub against my legs. Anyway, Almost two weeks ago now he came into the fenced yard which was a first and was meowing loudly for me to feed him--he knows I come from the top porch. I came down with the pitcher of food and I guess my feet spooked him walking behind him to get to the bowls--he usually comes toward me and not me toward him. He quickly grabbed my leg and bit me gently just barely breaking the skin, but it did break with one tiny tooth mark and two tiny claw scratches. Well, since I don't know this cat's history, I sent an email to the neighborhood and the neighborhood behind us to try to find out if anyone knows the cat. No one did, but one neighbor said it was fighting with another cat on his porch and turned on him when he went to scoot them away. So, I had to go to the hospital to had it looked at and inquire about rabies shots which I did not want to get. I had to call animal control to come out and try to trap the cat. The cat was finally trapped 9 days later. Normally they hold the cat 10 days to make sure there are no rabies symptoms, but fortunately since he as caught at day nine they only had to hold 1 day to determine which they determined he was not rabid--I didn't think he was--just acts a little off. They told me that they would make sure he is fixed and give him his vaccines and then will have some rescues evaluate him to see best course--if adoptable to a home or as a barn cat (outdoor cat). I asked if I could adopt him and they said I could pay $20 to hold him and then get him after he is up to date on everything. When I went today, it occurred to me that I would be the registered owner if I adopt him and therefore liable if someone gets bit or scratched. That made me nervous. Is that a smart thing to do? My husband said under no conditions could he be an indoor cat, so basically I would just be adopting this cat so he could stay in his known habitat and continue to feed him and interact with him outside. My husband feels he belongs to someone, but I can't confirm that. I am wondering if it is better to leave him at the shelter and give him a chance for a rescue to find him a good indoor home or indoor/outdoor home. I just want to do what is best for both of us. Any advice?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the cat. You would not, to my knowledge, be liable if he bit someone--you might want to ask the shelter staff about that. I think most states have laws about dog bites but not cat bites--can you Google this with regard to your state? And now that he's getting neutered, he will calm down and be less aggressive.

It's been my experience that most strays and semi-ferals can most certainly adapt to indoor life only--mine all have. It takes time and patience. My one cat who wants to go outside gets to go on walks with me on a lead and harness--this was our compromise. Do you have other resident pets inside the house? You will need to give your new kitty a room of his own while he adjusts. My advice is to adopt him after he's fixed and neutered. He's bonded with you. It would take him a long time to bond with someone else, and life caged in a shelter is very stressful for cats. We can give you all kinds of support and help with the socialization process.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeagercc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have free roaming rabbits inside and even if I didn't my husband wouldn't allow a cat. :( Shelter staff said I would be liable and would have to pay to quarantine etc.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will not be adoptable at a shelter given his behavior, so please adopt him and keep him as an outdoor cat. Just warn your neighbors not to pet him. I find my colony cats who misbehave, settle down and behave better once they are treated with kindness and not kicked and hit. Many people abuse feral cats, and having him fixed and giving him a stable home may work wonders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeagercc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I do worry about him if I just don't bring him back to what he knows as home.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The majority of shelters where I live will euthanize feral cats. Thank you for your kindness to this kitty.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he'll be OK. He's not biting aggressively, and he'll be less likely to get over-excited after he's neutered. And if you keep him legal on his rabies vaccines there shouldn't be any legal trouble. Thanks for helping this kitty!

I know your husband doesn't want an indoor cat. . .but as for the rabbits, well, I have a houserabbit and I think the cats are more scared of her than anything! She's a mean tough bunny. Most pet rabbits don't put up with much.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he would be fine as your outdoor kitty. It's important to communicate with the neighbors on your block. Every feral and semi feral cat that I've cared for on my block, I have been in conversation with all of my neighbors about him/her. Usually several of us are involved in the socialization process. Let them know not to try to touch him or approach him. Tell them his name, and those who are friendly towards cat can start calling him by his name. Keep up with his rabies vaccinations. After the initial one year shot, you can request a 3-year vaccination. I hope you will give him a chance as your outdoor Kitty. He may very well surprise you with the progress he makes after he is neutered. He would be miserable caged in a shelter, and he is likely unadoptable and would be euthanized. I hope you will give him a chance.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and thank you for caring for this cat! I agree that he will probably do best returned to his home territory. In 2006, I tamed a feral who was very fear-aggressive. I was using the food reward method of placing a dish of canned food near my feet. He got me with his claws early on so I had to wear snowboots, long sleeved shirt and welding gloves even in the summer. He slowly got used to me and I refrained from touching him. It took a bitterly cold day with blizzard conditions to completely change him - the back door blew open while I was feeding him on the porch. He must have felt the warmth because he ran inside and got on the warm hearth of our woodburner. My heart sank because I thought to myself that I was now stuck with a potentially vicious wild cat in my house. I couldn't have been more wrong - by the end of the week, I was able to pet him and he was grandly affectionate and always gentle - no more hissing, scratching or swiping after that. I just had to do plenty of talking and reassuring him that I would not touch him without permission. Please keep us updated on your situation!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, the fact that he rubs against you and rolls around your feet is a very good sign. He may not be a true feral, but a cat who was dumped or lost and developed feral behavior. If that is the case, it will be much easier to socialize him.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve had a similar situation with two cats, both males, who would rub you, let you pet them and grab your legs and spin or bite. After they were neutered I came to the conclusion they were both so love starved that this was their way of saying “ I want you, your undivided attention, until you submit I’m going to us this to get my way! Yes, gloves, jeans, and spray bottle. Then gradually as they got more and more attention all that went away. Now Henry is just a doll baby. I hold him for hours.
Neuter and maximize attention. Stay cool and don’t pull away when your through petting. It will work!
Sorry hubby won’t do inside cat. Does he give a reason or is that just the way it is? ( maybe too personal but just curious)