Torn Neuter Site? Help!

pinkyandsmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we recently got our two kittens pinky and s’more neutered. S’mores neuter site looks healthy and put together by now, as we got them neutered a week and a half ago. Pinky’s neuter site has a red spot, almost where it looks like his incision site was torn. We don’t have the money to pay for additional stitches, as we just spent close to 500 dollars neutering the both of them. The vet office doesn’t allow payment plans, so we’re very concerned.
Pinky is a happy, playful boy. He’s eating and drinking okay. The litter box doesn’t look in anyway unusual.
We’re asking for general advice on what this may be, and how to help him heal if there is a way without paying another few hundred to the vet. We’re a responsible as possible with our kittens. We have gotten them vaccinated completely, blood work done, fecal tests, and now a neuter. We just weren’t anticipating an extra cost, and we’re a young couple that doesn’t have a lot of savings or credit.
If inclined, please take a look at the attached photo!

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you spoken to your vet about your concern. I don't know if it's normal practice but there may not be a charge if there was a problem post spaying. One of mine was taken back 3 times and I wasn't charged.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, males are ok unless there's an infection. Some vets don't even stitch neuters at all. It's not a dangerous abdominal incision like females have. But, yeah, most vets won't charge for a neuter followup, just give them a call and see if you can send the pictures in for their opinion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkyandsmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually, males are ok unless there's an infection. Some vets don't even stitch neuters at all. It's not a dangerous abdominal incision like females have. But, yeah, most vets won't charge for a neuter followup, just give them a call and see if you can send the pictures in for their opinion
We did try this. They said they can’t tell much by pictures, so we have to bring him in. It’s a 78 dollar minimum to be seen, and then anything after that is additional :( I appreciate the comment though because we have been worried. He’s a happy boy we just don’t want anything to be wrong! This makes us feel a little better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkyandsmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you spoken to your vet about your concern. I don't know if it's normal practice but there may not be a charge if there was a problem post spaying. One of mine was taken back 3 times and I wasn't charged.
Yes we have! Unfortunately they do charge just to look at it. They told us before the neuter that girl kitties are a little different because they typically have a follow-up. Males usually don’t unless they suspect something is wrong.