Torn footie pads

musicobsession

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH NO! I took Stella for a walk today and somehow she tore open her footie pads on the front! I CAN'T get to a vet tomorrow, and she likely doesn't need to go, so is there anything I should do for her?! I imagine it's insanely painful!!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you but let's :bump: this up to the top so that hopefully someone who does have an answer will see it.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took eli for a walk once and he tore his back pads a little bit.. what I did was washed it off of all grime, and tossed hydrogen peroxide on his foot ( My cats are much better then some other peoples cats for letting me do things to their feet.. I reccomend you make a kitty mummy and wrap your cat in a sheet, and put a bit of it over her eyes, until only her head and foot are sticking out (do one foot at a time) The hydrogen peroxide will probably bubble up, and it is a bit painful, but necessary. If you have some kind of leg wrapper thing maybe put some anti biotic cream on her foot and wrap it in toilet paper, then put the wrap on it, and secure it O_O The cat wont LIke it ill tell you.. and might try to take it off... You could always then try to fashion yourself a cone to put around her head, OR a bit easier way is just to do the cleaning like I said, MAKE SURE TO RINSE HER FEET AGAIN TO GET THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE OFF!!! And immediately change the littler pan! KEEP IT VERY VERY CLEAN! You would probably want to scoop every time she uses the bathroom, and make sure to get it ALL OUT O_O Maybe try and keep her in a small room for a day or two until her foot is healed a bit more. If you keep the pan clean and keep her in a nice clean room for one to three days it should heal enough so taht you can let her walk around (not saying your house is dirty but they do pick things up in their feet) :p And make sure to keep her litter pan very very clean for about a week, or until it heals all the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicobsession

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace

I took eli for a walk once and he tore his back pads a little bit.. what I did was washed it off of all grime, and tossed hydrogen peroxide on his foot ( My cats are much better then some other peoples cats for letting me do things to their feet.. I reccomend you make a kitty mummy and wrap your cat in a sheet, and put a bit of it over her eyes, until only her head and foot are sticking out (do one foot at a time) The hydrogen peroxide will probably bubble up, and it is a bit painful, but necessary. If you have some kind of leg wrapper thing maybe put some anti biotic cream on her foot and wrap it in toilet paper, then put the wrap on it, and secure it O_O The cat wont LIke it ill tell you.. and might try to take it off... You could always then try to fashion yourself a cone to put around her head, OR a bit easier way is just to do the cleaning like I said, MAKE SURE TO RINSE HER FEET AGAIN TO GET THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE OFF!!! And immediately change the littler pan! KEEP IT VERY VERY CLEAN! You would probably want to scoop every time she uses the bathroom, and make sure to get it ALL OUT O_O Maybe try and keep her in a small room for a day or two until her foot is healed a bit more. If you keep the pan clean and keep her in a nice clean room for one to three days it should heal enough so taht you can let her walk around (not saying your house is dirty but they do pick things up in their feet) :p And make sure to keep her litter pan very very clean for about a week, or until it heals all the way.
Thanks... I called my vet this morning and the wife or whoever answered, not the vet... but she said I shouldn't wrap them (I had them wrapped last night and my cat refused to move anywhere) up. I put shredded newspaper in her litter box after removing the scoopable stuff that was in there, which she also recommended. Can you say "late for work?!" God, the crap I do for my cat (who hates me, I swear).

Hydrogen peroxide won't harm my cat?! I do think I need to clean them out... I tried squirting water in there, like the woman recommended, but she has fur stuck to her paw pads so I don't think it's clean. It was kind of oozing or something yesterday because I noticed dirty marks on the shirt I was wearing while I was carrying her around, as well as on a (CLEAN WHITE) shirt she decided to curl up on sometime yesterday afternoon.

I am leaving Saturday around noonish and won't be back until sometime Sunday. Is she going to be OK alone that long?! Her feet aren't wrapped anymore, but she's done nothing but lie around all day... which is very abnormal for her (usually she's chasing invisible things)...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is oozing then it is probably infected. If not then it soon will be. It has to get cleaned out right away. Is there someone who can take her to the vet for you while you are away? If it is affecting her activity she must be in some pain and really should get to a vet as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicobsession

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if I got up super early, which I don't want to do because it's already late and I still have 92834 things to do... I could find a vet to take her to... but I would have to look because my vet is all booked up for tomorrow. I don't really know what they would do for her besides cleaning it, and if I can use hydrogen peroxide and clean it out, do I need to do that?!

It is not oozing anymore, that was just yesterday right after it happened... Although she has fur stuck to her pads so I think I need to go ahead and clean it so it gets unstuck.