Top things to do in London and Paris ??

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Dottie worked for Hilton when we were in London, so we stayed at the London Hilton on Park Row. I couldn't afford to walk in the door of that place, normally.
The Hiltons are lovely, i stayed at the Hilton Docklands last October

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in London so can help!

About the breakfast - most places you stay, or in most cafes, you can just order whichever parts of it you want - just ask for the full english without beans if you don't want them!

If you like a bit of ancient history, looking at artefacts and statues, then the British Museum is a must - be warned it is huge and you may want to make 2 half-day visits rather than slog around the whole lot in one go, or just pick out the bits that interest you most. The Museum of London is also good if you are interested in the history of London from prehistoric times to the modern day.

There are a lot of art galleries if culture is your thing, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, The National Gallery if older art is more your thing, and the National Portrait Gallery next door are all located centrally.

All the museums and galleries I have listed are free admission, but they often have certain exhibitions set up which have an entrance fee - but most of the usual exhibits you can see for free.

Oh and in Kensington the Natural History Museum is especially good if you have any interest in that sort of thing, I like the Science Museum next door too but I think you probably get more out of it if you have kids. But best of all of them is the Victoria and Albert museum which has some really interesting collections, it's historical art, design, fashion etc - loads of old costumes and stuff, very interesting. They are not far from Harrods if you were planning to head over that way.

Other popular sights that have an entrance fee are the Tower of London which I would say is expensive, but as a one off visit should probably be near the top of your list! The London Eye if you like heights - go on a clear day. London Aquarium is good. Personally I detest Madame Tussauds, but if waxworks of celebrities hold any interest and you like queuing then it's worth a visit.

Greenwich is worth a visit - there's a Maritime Museum, the Greenwich Observatory of course, and a fan museum - beautiful architecture and set in a lovely park, well worth making a day of it, some days there are antiques markets and craft markets there. Unfortunately the Cutty Sark is under hoardings after it was set on fire last year, I'm not sure when the resoration will be complete. You can get a riverboat to Greenwich from right near the London Eye/Aquarium, and it would be good to go there on a clear day to make the most of the park so you could easily do the Eye then head to Greenwich on the river.

Outside of London:

Hampton Court Palace and Windsor are easily reached by train, I'd really recommend Hampton Court! If you wanted to go a bit further afield for a day out then Canterbury or York are both worth a visit if you want to see old historical cities - York still has all its old walls and city gates and there is plenty to do at either town.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh this thread is bringing back so many memories! My husband (who is British) and I lived in London before he got his job here in Ireland and we went to Paris on our honeymoon (with two of my friends from the States...so much for a romantic getaway...though i have been to Paris a lot so no biggie).

My top tip for Paris? Go to the Montparnasse (sp! I speak no French!) Tower. The building is REALLY ugly but if you go to the top you get AMAZING views (even better than the other more well known tower...because you actually get to see that one...). Sacre Couer is also beautiful. The husband and I usually just walk around whenever we go - we had a friend living there, so we would just drop our stuff off at his place and then wander around.

I love the museums in London - the V&A is one of my personal favourites. And the great thing about London is just walking around. Don't feel that you need to just stay in the tourist areas - go to neighborhoods and explore. Of course, that is what the husband and I do whenever we go anywhere - just walk. My parents came to visit us in Ireland last summer and they were amazed that we just wanted to walk everywhere.

Also, the British Library is always interesting. If you like food/markets go to Borough Market in the SE or Spitalfields in the East. We lived in East London, so we used to go to Spitalfields most weekends, and it is great just to walk around, look at people, have some food. They are doing some great regeneration down there as well, so it is interesting. It is also right near Liverpool Street Station (the heart of the city - meaning the business/financial area), so you can walk around and see all the old London mixed in with the new city buildings. Barbican is down there as well - I love that place. It is just a really crazy old social housing estate from the 1960s that has been turned into crazy-expensive flats and an arts complex.

Abbey Road - in St John's Wood - is worth going to if you are a Beatles fan, but only for that token picture. When my parents came over for our wedding, my dad and I went there and he loved it. But there is nothing much else in that area, other than fancy houses and, well, a cricket ground (my husband is a huge cricket fan, so I have been many times...).

Take advantage of the parks as well! There is obviously Hyde Park but Regents Park is great too. And you can go up Primrose Hill for AMAZING views over London. And Hampstead Heath! Hampstead is quite an interesting place to just walk around (Marx lived there - my husband is a political philosopher, so he always tells people that fact whenever we used to have visitors). London apparently has the most green spaces of any major city, so they are a definite draw.

Okay, i have rambled on enough. I really need to get cleaning - my sister-in-law and her family from London are flying over tonight and the cottage is a pit....

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to both of those places in 2000. In London, DEFINATELY go to the British Museum. It was my favorite thing of the whole trip. My second favorite was the Tower of London. If you like history, you'll love London.

As far as Paris, I'm glad I went, but I have no desire to go back. We met up with an exchange student we had a long time ago and have kept in touch with. He took us through the Louvre and we saw all of the big things because he knew his way around. Notre Dame was really pretty, but if you have to choose between cathedrals go to Sacre Couer. It was beautiful, and the view from up there was great. We did the Eiffel Tower at night and that was pretty. Also, shopping on the Chantes Elise (or however you spell it - the big street by the Arc de Triumph) was really neat. There are sidewalk cafes there, too. My favorite museum there was the Musee Dorsee. Not only does it have famous artwork, but the architecture was neat.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Let me know the dates when your going and i may jump on the train for the day, and i'll take you to Harrods and treat you to a cream tea
ok, i'm officially jealous - you get to meet Susan and have a cream tea

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I can't give you any tips for Paris, but as far as London is concerned, there are lots of terrific museums others have named (e.g., V&A), the Tower (an absolute must!), beautiful cathedrals/churches, famous stores (Harrods, Fortnum & Mason's), and parks that are touristy, but which you don't want to miss. Entrance fees are quite high, even for churches.

What we did was buy an up-to-date guide book with maps, and weekly passes for the Tube (subway/underground), and walk to the sites from the nearest Tube station. Be very careful at intersections, because as Americans, you'll automatically look the wrong way first (we found a lot of reminders painted on curbs in London, which was quite a nice touch). Eating out is extremely pricey, so eat a hearty English breakfast (with or without beans; be cautious of "bangers", which are very fatty sausages guaranteed to give you heartburn), and look for prepared sandwiches or salads at supermarkets, "pub food", shops/bakeries that sell Cornish pasties or the like, Indian or Chinese take-out, fish and chips, and figure that restaurant visits are a "treat", as otherwise you'll go broke just eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Laureen if you ever came over i would take you as well
I wanted to go to Harrods if my schedule allows. My parents were in London probably 30 years ago and my mom bought a Scottish wool scarf for me that I still wear to this day. She told me that if I ever went to London, that I had to go to Harrods.

This is such great information everyone and you don't know how much I appreciate the advice! I'm starting to compile a list then will buy a travelers guide so I can plot out the days while we're there.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Top things, let me think. Take pictures of everything and share them with TCS!