Top 10 Reasons to Adopt a Black Cat

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love black cats. Shami's completely black and he's the most affectionate cat I've ever seen. He begs to be picked up and gives kisses every morning and when I come home from work.

I think large, muscular, big-boned black cats and long, thin, slinky black cats (oriental/Siamese) are very sexy.

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great post!
But you missed one: Black will always be in fashion.

I would love to have a black kitty in the future. Long and sleek like an Oriental shorthair or stocky and muscular like a Bombay with copper-penny eyes - it doesn't matter, because they're all so lovely!

ETA: I've also heard that white kitties have a difficult time being adopted. Is that true?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

And black lab mixes are such fabulous dogs too! But then again, maybe I'm biased

Yay for black furbabies!
I grew up with a black lab mix. Belle was the bestest doggie in the whole wide world, and in a moment I'm going to start crying. She went to the Bridge 40 years ago -- if you're biased, so am I.

Now back to black kitties. Another of my soft spots. My first kitty was all black. I had her for all of five days, before she died in my arms. We don't need to go there now. I have "come close" twice since then, first with Samantha, the tuxie in my avatar, and then with Cindy, my current tortie. I think all black or mostly black kitties have a certain "je ne sais quoi", but I still hope for an all black kitty at some point. They are awesome.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had several black cats. One was Inkspot who came as a tiny abandoned kitten with a huge voice. He and Mom used to have long conversations in the morning as she got ready for work.

Most recent was Minx. He was my soul mate cat and slept with me all the time. My shoulder was his place to cuddle.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love black kitties too!
3 of my 5 kitties are black.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3rd cat was going to black when I found out that they were least likely to be adopted, but then Mia started living in our shed so we had to adopt her.
But if we ever get another or go with anyone who is adopting, I am recommending a black kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My love of black cats started young. The first two cats I remember having as a very young child were both black and for the longest time I didn't realize they even came in other colors!

I've had cats that were tabby, siamese, etc. but any cat I've even chosen for myself has been black. When I go to the shelter in July to get one after I move, its going to be a black kitty coming home with me

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I agree!!!! Adopting a black cat- or ANY cat for that matter from a shelter saves a life!!! Black cats and Older cats are the last ones to get adopted at most of the shelters around here. So much so, that at the last shelter i was at as a volunteer - we hosted "Black Cat" adoption days- they were huge successes and we screened only the best homes for them!!! We also would not adopt out around halloween time (because of the evil things some aweful people will try to do to them!). My little Velvet (named after the song black velvet) was my first kitty, and she is now 11 yrs old
She is my little angel and i could not have been blessed with a sweeter kitty!!!

Also- while we are on the topic of animals who get adopted the least in shelters- if any of you are considering adopting a dog- please consider adopting large black dogs (especially lab mixes) they are normally the last ones to go in shelters as far as dogs go. So are larger breeds like german shepherd mixes and pit mixes.
I never really thought about a black lab as a pet until a few days ago! My bf and I went to a shop so he could purchase a crotch rocket! There was the sweetest black lab that greeted me at the entrance, was good natured, well behaved, beautiful, and very loving! I've always wanted a smaller to medium dog (its what I am use to) but I would deinitley make an excetion for a black lab... I can't tho considering I live in an apartment

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a black kitty... Spooky Bear. Well, actually I have two black kitties right now, because one of Missy's kittens is black. I've always been especially fond of black cats.