Toothless Wonder

crinzin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old male cat had some issues that started last year. He started to have terrible bad breath and was drooling profusely. With a vet check, it was confirmed that he needed some teeth removed. He had two surgeries in total, the first removed most of the teeth, the second to remove those that remained. My problem is that the vet ran tests and such, and could never figure out the cause. I was hoping to explain the situation and see if someone else has had the same issues with a diagnosis.

Surgery 1 - When they went in and removed 12 teeth. They found that he was already missing 14 of his teeth, believe to have fallen out on their own accord. Four teeth remained, which were in great health.

He recovered fine and seemed in top shape, until about 6 months later, when I noticed more bad breath, but no drooling.

Surgery 2 - They put him under again and had to remove the final 4 teeth.

He has recovered fine from this (about 4 months ago) and seems to be in great heath again. He never really lost weight from the infections nor did he seem to become lethargic. He stayed his happy-go-lucky self and still did all the same activities. The vet I worked with has about 30 years experience, so I trust him fully. He said it looked as if his body was rejecting his teeth, they were abcessing and ulcering from the base, in the gums. He said it was much like when they get leukemia, but he had all the required blood tests done for said disease and for anything else that normally causes such things. Biopsies were done, and all tests so far have come back negative for anything "normal".

Anyone else have any kind of similar story with a diagnosis in the end? (Sorry for the long story!)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 2 diseases I know of that can cause a cat's body to reject his teeth: stomatitis and resorptive lesions. I can't say if either of those is what he had, but if you do research on those diseases you could compare symptoms.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 2 diseases I know of that can cause a cat's body to reject his teeth: stomatitis and resorptive lesions. I can't say if either of those is what he had, but if you do research on those diseases you could compare symptoms.
:yeah: amazingly, like hitting the lottery twice, I have one kitty with stomatitis, and one with resorptive lesions. Your description fits more what my kitty with stomatits has.... However, with regular dentals and daily medication we have been able to have a very good control on the disease, keeping most of his teeth and inflammation to a minimum (as possible). Changing his diet to raw helped quite a bit too, as it lowers inflammation overall.
Lucky, my girl with resorptive lesions, started losing teeth out of the blue- they would just fall.... No infections though.... They would just fall out- she lost her two bottom canines recently like that. She does have bad breath, but not a sign of infected gums or plaque..... Her teeth are pretty clean.
On her dental, under anesthesia, they found out it was resorptive lesion, and that it had affected her upper canine.... Luckily they were able to repair the tooth with a filling instead of extracting it, so she got to keep it.
You can see resorptive lesions on the teeth, and stimatitis can be confirmed by biopsy.... But usually the signs are pretty clear....
Be aware that sometimes removing all the teeth doesn't resolve the problem, the inflammation can still return, which is why I opted to keep my boys teeth and treat him instead. Keep a close eye on your little one for signs of mouth pain; if you notice him going off food, shaking his head as he eats, etc. Take him to the dentist....
Good luck! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had personal experience with any of my cats, but I have looked after a cat who had all his teeth removed. He was a happy, sweet cat who ate his food and did just fine afterwards with no teeth. Apparently the change in his personality was significant too - as you can imagine when being relieved of chronic pain.
Sounds like you have a good vet there and have the condition under control.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My toothless wonder, Stumpy, also had all of his teeth removed because of the auto-immune disease Lymphocytic-Plasmacytic Gingivitis Stomatitis (LPGS). It doesn't show up in blood work and can only be diagnosed through a surgical biopsy. If your vet said that it looked like your boy's body thought his teeth were foreign invaders, then this is probably the disease.

The goods news is that, 5 years later at the age of 17, Stumpy is doing remarkably well. What you need to keep an eye on is that LPGS has been known to reoccur in the mouth or into the throat. Because of this, Stumpy has been on prednilisone (5 mg every other day) for the last 5 years. Every time we've tried to wean him off the drug, his mouth starts to get inflammation and redness.

It is a good thing that you got on top of this early enough. The disease is painful.