Tooth Trouble (see Picture)

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My three year old girl Freya has a discoloured tooth, with a bad smell and when I tried to brush it gently her gums bleed!

She is still eating like normal, dry and wet, treats and all without showing any pain, but cats are so good at hiding pain.

I'm already going to see the vet but won't get in until after the weekend, I'm really worried about her and wondering what they will do and what to expect. They mentioned antibiotics but nothing about removing it? I'm curious what you all think of any input you can share!

Thanks
DSC_0367-01.jpeg
_IMG_2836-01-01.jpeg
DSC_0367-01.jpeg

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to see but she might be due for a dental. It just depends on how much tarter she builds up on those side teeth. My 10 year old cat builds tarter pretty quickly after a full dental. I think like humans, it depends on saliva composition and type of food eaten. Maybe they suggested antibiotics since you said it was bleeding. I would say I’d she is eating normally and not drooling excessively you can wait until your apt.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
The bad smell suggests decaying matter or an infection. Is it bright pink at all on the gums? It would be gingivitis if that were the case.

I wouldn't worry too much as you've got her booked into see your vet soon. It doesn't look in immediate danger. But perhaps up her ratio of soft food until after you've seen the vet to make things easier for her.

Dental problems are one of the leading causes of disease in cats and most cats need at least one tooth removing during their lifespan. Cats function extremely well with tooth extraction, and cope well even if every tooth is removed. That you've spotted a problem with her teeth means that she can get a proper examination with possible scaling and extraction, plus antibiotics for any suspected infection.

Maybe consider giving her special veterinary dental paste and/or dental treats to help dislodge the tartar build-up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does seem more like a build up of something, I didn't realize that it could build up like that!

She was going in for her annual appointment in two weeks, but I called them right away and moved it up! I've only had her a little over a year so I'm not sure of her past but maybe it is just build up and not a rotten tooth?

I've been brushing her eye teeth and other front ones but she doesn't let me get to the back so I've got a dental addative to prevent tartar but it can only do so much! She was a stray before I had her so it's very likely she's not had much dental work!

I'll put her on just wet food until the vet!

Thanks for your responses! I'm just one worried cat momma

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like tartar buildup on the tooth - now when this happens it is a great area for bacteria to gather, causing tooth decay and gum disease, indicated by reddened and/or bleeding gums.

This is very bad and needs veterinary treatment - not only is it probably painful for your sweet kitty, tooth and gum disease can have a knock on effect on general health as the immune system is constantly making antibodies to fight the bacteria and this can put a strain on other organs such as the kidneys or heart.

Please take your lovely girl to the vet, they will give her a dental cleaning and see whether any teeth need to be pulled - and she will be right as rain again in no time I'm sure. My boys have always recovered quickly after dental work, even Sonic who had to have several teeth including one of his upper canines removed last year. She'll be a lot happier afterwards. :)
I think after the weekend is fine, UNLESS she stops eating in which case that is an emergency situation.

EDIT: Oh also the thing about mentioning antibiotics - sometimes it is necessary to do a course before a dental cleaning or tooth removal to clear up any existing gum infection before dental surgery. That sounds fairly routine to me. The vet will have a look and decide.

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've made an appointment for Monday ,that was the earliest they had since I live in a rural area. Hopefully they will help her out then!

I'm hoping she's going to feel much happier once she's seen the vet (and I'll feel much better knowing she's better!). I try to limit her vet visits to annual appointments because she gets very nervous (poops and pees herself from fear, poor girl!) But I bumped her appointment up early because of this!

Looks like tartar buildup on the tooth - now when this happens it is a great area for bacteria to gather, causing tooth decay and gum disease, indicated by reddened and/or bleeding gums.

This is very bad and needs veterinary treatment - not only is it probably painful for your sweet kitty, tooth and gum disease can have a knock on effect on general health as the immune system is constantly making antibodies to fight the bacteria and this can put a strain on other organs such as the kidneys or heart.

Please take your lovely girl to the vet, they will give her a dental cleaning and see whether any teeth need to be pulled - and she will be right as rain again in no time I'm sure. My boys have always recovered quickly after dental work, even Sonic who had to have several teeth including one of his upper canines removed last year. She'll be a lot happier afterwards. :)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made an appointment for Monday ,that was the earliest they had since I live in a rural area. Hopefully they will help her out then!

I'm hoping she's going to feel much happier once she's seen the vet (and I'll feel much better knowing she's better!). I try to limit her vet visits to annual appointments because she gets very nervous (poops and pees herself from fear, poor girl!) But I bumped her appointment up early because of this!
Aww bless her, one of mine really doesn't do well in the carrier so I know what you mean. I wish you all the best.

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Turns out it was tartar buildup and slight gum inflammation. No extractions needed, she let the vet do a dental cleaning and get off the tartar WITHOUT any sedation (unless you could me petting and praising). I've got to give her some dental wipes to keep the tartar off and help her gums but other than that all good!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without sedation means they probably just scraped off the chunks. If her teeth are in this condition, I would schedule a dental soon down the road. A realy dental. Sedation and xrays are absolutely a must so they can see what is going on below the gums and extract any teeth that may need it. The sooner you do this the better. The longer you wait the more expensive it gets and the more extractions will be needed. A routine dental cleaning can start at around $300-500 so save up for the near future, I would not put it off too much.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha. Yeah. You have a cool kitty. Tommy would let me remove the tartar from his teeth with a scaler, too. I did it for years until I lost the tool and then 1-2 years after that I got his first full cleaning at age 8. There is no way my other cats would let me do that to them.
Her compliance saved you about $300. :yess:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The longer you wait the more expensive it gets and the more extractions will be needed. A routine dental cleaning can start at around $300-500 so save up for the near future, I would not put it off too much.
not necessarily, but erring on the side of caution, yes
I picked Tom's teeth regularly and he never had any inflammation, but I did do his cleaning back in July with his sissy Yue. I'm not saying not to get one done, but being able to do remove most of it interim really helps.
If the inflammation subsides, then you can save up for a full dental by summer.