Tooth Resorption surgery aftercare

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: Posts are merged from other threads.

Hi Kat mom and dad’s!
Charlie, my little girl who is 10 years old just had her first dental cleaning and had three teeth extracted due to resorption. I have read everywhere that it is very painful. However, she did not exhibit a single sign no drooling no eating on one side of the mouth no sensitivity when I touched her face. Nothing at all she played with her toys she ate her treats and I’m beginning to think that maybe it can be pain less as well… Thoughts? Anyway, we are now on day four and she’s slowly returning to her normal self. They did do the topical application of Zorbium, which is supposed to last 4 days, but her pupils are still very dilated, she is still a little dysmorphic, she is still sort of rug. Dolly, I do not believe she has slept nor do I think she is drinking any water but she eats her wet food. But as of a moment ago she started bathing again. Is that a good sign? Or should I try to get her not to do that please help me I am a frantic borderline neurotic mom she is my entire life we have never been apart 24 seven for 10 years and two months.

She is not coming out of the anesthesia very well. Her sweet little eyes are dilated so I had the whole place pitch black which is fine with me because neither of us have really slept well. She definitely has not. I’m just beside myself I am fraught with regret. Despair. Concerned this is horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And now what? Because the Zorbium is supposed to be long acting - for four days does that mean that the pain comes back? I just don’t know does anyone

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I keep having thoughts… And then regarding brushing I’ve never done this before. She’s probably not going to want me to do it. Not to mention I have to wait two weeks but at the two week mark I will be out of the country. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to introduce this to a little lady who has never experienced anything like this?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And now what? Because the Zorbium is supposed to be long acting - for four days does that mean that the pain comes back? I just don’t know does anyone
She should have healed up quite a bit by then. Do you have a follow up with the vet? Usually here the follow up is included with the dental surgery price if there's teeth removal.

As for getting your cat uses to teeth brushing you have two options and I recommend trying both.

1- get your cat used to a toothpaste taste. Buy a couple of cat toothpastes from your vet. Virbac or something else that's certified to help. Get her started just by tasting it. My one cat likes the beef one and the other likes the malt. All had a very strong bad reaction to the tuna one in that they just hated it and spat it out. Work up to rubbing it with your finger on her front teeth. Eventually you'll rub it on the outside of all her teeth.

2- get a cat toothbrush or infant toothbrush and try to see if you can get her to play with it and bite at the brissles. Work up to rubbing it on her front teeth until you get to be able to pass it over all her teeth quickly. I just do a few quick passed each side.

Bonus test: get some q-tips with the cardboard applicator and rub it on her front teeth when sleepy. Work up to rubbing on all her teeth.

Check the above and see what works best. I generally do all 3 but on different days. My different cats respond differently.

PS. Check with your vet if they recommend a food or water additive for your cat's dental health when you buy the toothpaste from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot thank you enough for your helpful, insight and suggestions. Still a little concerned because we are passed the four day mark and she is still groggy and her pupils are dilated but I would rather have her be in zero pain and groggy with dilated pupils. I don’t have a scheduled follow up they didn’t say that was necessary but they did say to call if any questions arose or if I saw anything concerning and so I have, of course called, and they’ve been very reassuring that this is truly very common from the Zorbium the way she’s behaving
My name is Chandler and I can’t thank you enough All Dara!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
ChandlerS ChandlerS honestly, cats are good at knowing whether they're able to do things. That she's bathing is great. :)
If you think she's still in pain, you could ask the vet for more pain meds, but it sounds as though they addressed that pretty well. The symptoms you're describing could be from the pain meds.. they can be very strong.
Many, many cats have resorbtion issues, so you can imagine how many suffer in silence. :( And cats do suffer in silence. It comes from their instinct to not show that they're weak. She's very lucky to have you caring so much for her. 🧡

Both of my cats have had significant resorbtion surgery, from a regular vet. It took Sundar some time to get used to it after the last one.. he obviously felt he had 'a new mouth'. But he's fine now and I can rest assured knowing he's not in pain.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nice to e-meet you Chandler!

Calcifer practices getting his teeth brushed.

This is a video I took this afternoon. Calcifer is sleepy. I don't surprise him though. I let him sniff the qtip and then just do my best to rub it on his gums and teeth before he moves away.

Magnus gets a brush

here you see Magnus the same way.

this is the same way I would do to my 17 and 19 year old cats. I don't have videos of it, but nothing changes. You go slow and try to keep it a pleasurable experience.

we got a new cat 4 days ago and I've been doing this with him too. I have a video but I need to upload it still. It takes a long time. I'll try to post tomorrow.

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ChandlerS ChandlerS honestly, cats are good at knowing whether they're able to do things. That she's bathing is great. :)
If you think she's still in pain, you could ask the vet for more pain meds, but it sounds as though they addressed that pretty well. The symptoms you're describing could be from the pain meds.. they can be very strong.
Many, many cats have resorbtion issues, so you can imagine how many suffer in silence. :( And cats do suffer in silence. It comes from their instinct to not show that they're weak. She's very lucky to have you caring so much for her. 🧡

Both of my cats have had significant resorbtion surgery, from a regular vet. It took Sundar some time to get used to it after the last one.. he obviously felt he had 'a new mouth'. But he's fine now and I can rest assured knowing he's not in pain.
Thank you so much for your insight and thoughtful response. I am proud. I am more grateful than I have ever been to announce her pupils are back to normal. She is still a little dysmorphic in that she is extremely affectionate, but she has not had a bowel movement since Tuesday, but I am confident that she is returning to normal at her own pace, and I have nothing to fear.
But knowing that I have other parents to whom I can talk, ask questions get feedback is a level of peace of mind, so thank you very much

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nice to e-meet you Chandler!

Calcifer practices getting his teeth brushed.

This is a video I took this afternoon. Calcifer is sleepy. I don't surprise him though. I let him sniff the qtip and then just do my best to rub it on his gums and teeth before he moves away.

Magnus gets a brush

here you see Magnus the same way.

this is the same way I would do to my 17 and 19 year old cats. I don't have videos of it, but nothing changes. You go slow and try to keep it a pleasurable experience.

we got a new cat 4 days ago and I've been doing this with him too. I have a video but I need to upload it still. It takes a long time. I'll try to post tomorrow.
Oh my gosh Alldara I cannot believe you took time to do this. Thank you so much! Obviously I won’t be doing anything with her mouth for at least 14 days if not longer since I’ll be out of the country but when I return, I’m going to do this, if it kills me!

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh Alldara I cannot believe you took time to do this. Thank you so much! Obviously I won’t be doing anything with her mouth for at least 14 days if not longer since I’ll be out of the country but when I return, I’m going to do this, if it kills me!
OK obviously you’re a professional because you make it look so easy! What toothpaste do you use? Charlie is such a finicky lady she’ll eat one thing and then the next day she won’t even look at the same thing and I will try anything but I need some suggestions And is the most important part to make sure that you rub the gumline would it be better to just have some topical on your thumb and pointer and just rub up and down her teeth and gums if you can I’m thinking maybe that’s the best thing to do just grab her by the scruff her mouth will open and try to get in there gently of course 😻😻

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK obviously you’re a professional because you make it look so easy! What toothpaste do you use? Charlie is such a finicky lady she’ll eat one thing and then the next day she won’t even look at the same thing and I will try anything but I need some suggestions And is the most important part to make sure that you rub the gumline would it be better to just have some topical on your thumb and pointer and just rub up and down her teeth and gums if you can I’m thinking maybe that’s the best thing to do just grab her by the scruff her mouth will open and try to get in there gently of course 😻😻
Really not a professional. Just good at reading cats and building trust with them.

So my goal for my cats is to try to never force something to build trust. It's not always possible. It certainly wasn't possible with my late cat Nobel.

For Cal, you can see I just gently put my hand on the back of his head/neck. When they turn away, I stop and do petting to keep that positive experience. I might do only one side per nap.

When I do the toothpaste, yes I just can put a dab on my finger and rub it across the teeth. That is less tolerable than the qtip to them. I do one side at a time. So I put a tiny amount on one pointer finger. Then, I press my pointer fingers together so there's a dot on each. I rub one pointer finger per side.

I use two things currently. Virbac toothpaste (malt for Magnus and beef for Calcifer. I didn't give Ghost any toothpaste yet). C.E.T.® Enzymatic Toothpaste

And I use this gel because my late cat prefered it. I did find that it helped to reduce tartar a bit. I recommend it, but you should ask for vet. The enzymatic toothpaste above is better.
TropiClean Fresh Breath Oral Care Cat Toothbrush Kit | cat Dental & Breath Care | PetSmart

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like the qtip best too because I can see that it takes some yellow and sometimes food particles. So I do qtip every day and toothpaste every other day.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ghost has only been in our home 6 days. A No-Fear method is very important for building trust with him. He needs to feel safe in his home. But also his care needs have to be met.

Again, I chose a time when he was sleepy. I approached and let him sniff. I gently insert it into this mouth and rub. He moves away and lowers his head. That's enough stimulation for him and he needs a break. I'll get the other half later.

Ghost practices getting his teeth brushed. 🤍

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow what a great parent! And Ghost is soooo relaxed. I appreciate all your videos and suggestions and will start buying products to get ready for D-day (dental day😆). Thank you! If you have any video of actually cleaning their teeth please post it for me when you can!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cole and Marmalade has some good video footage on how to start. Mine are very used to the q-tip but still not the toothbrush as much. It's takes much time.

Calcifer won't let me get in his mouth with the brush yet. I haven't introduced one to Ghost yet.

Magnus is pretty good depending on his mood.

I'd say get your cat used to something in its mouth and the flavour of the toothpaste first.

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like the qtip best too because I can see that it takes some yellow and sometimes food particles. So I do qtip every day and toothpaste every other day.
Is this a clean Q-tip or is there a topical on it?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's worth noting that cleaning teeth doesn't stop tooth resorption. It's a good habit to get into though. :)