Tooth extraction (human)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just came back from picking up my husband from the dentist to get an abscessed wisdom tooth pulled. He's feeling great (still numb) and his adrenalin is still pumping a bit I think. He's scared of dentists but he was so excited to tell me that they don't freeze you the same way...Said he didn't feel any needles...
He's got all the meds he needs and got a bunch of directions from the dentist as to what to/not to do.
My question, as I have never had any teeth pulled and certainly never had an abscess...What should we expect pain and recovery wise. Not to throw my hubby under the bus or anything, but he's a bit of a....suck. He definitely meets the stereotypical "man cold" standards when he's sick! LOL! And can be quite cranky when in mild to moderate pain....never mind severe pain!
Just looking for a heads up and perhaps some tips....perhaps I should go stay in a hotel for a few days????? ;)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i guess it depends on how long he can work your mom gene and keep on getting you to baby him:lol: after i got all my dental work done i was loving it eating as i pleasethat same day without annoying teeth to bug or affect how i chew and ate. i was also surprised at how much dental work advanced to actually look forward to my dental visits now :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know he has to be careful how he eats as he has a giant hole in his mouth now...it was still infected, even after 10 days of antibiotics, so the dentist had to do some scraping inside.

He just came up to tell me the numbing is starting to wear off....how painful was it for you ( game misconduct game misconduct ) in the first 12 hours post extraction?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know he has to be careful how he eats as he has a giant hole in his mouth now...it was still infected, even after 10 days of antibiotics, so the dentist had to do some scraping inside.

He just came up to tell me the numbing is starting to wear off....how painful was it for you ( game misconduct game misconduct ) in the first 12 hours post extraction?
it wasnt painful for me at all a lil tender in certain areas until the open wound healed but i have a high pain tolerance and heal up pretty fast but everyone is different though tell him to quit poking at the empty spot with his tongue to though make sure to taket finish off the antibiotics etc rinse with saltwater along with the other instructions dentist gave

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a baby molar that became abscessed removed. I think the most important part is to follow their instructions about things like not using a straw and being careful to let it heal over first. From what I was told; people in the most pain are the ones who get dry socket from NOT following the instructions. I took some pain reliever for a few days just to be ahead of any pain; but I don't really remember it as painful at all. It was annoying to eat that first week; but not painful.

I would tell him to take something now so if it does start to hurt; he'll have better pain control.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
good advice !! make sure you follow the advice the dentist gives ! most complications are because people dont do as told. ( like almost any post op stuff.. dental or otherwise !) .. good luck and hope he feels better soon !!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell him to take something now so if it does start to hurt; he'll have better pain control.
He did. Dentist said to take them "in about an hour"...it was around 11 when we got home, so he's taken them already and will continue as per recommended.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 wisdom teeth out the same day. No pain, but what they didn’t warn me about was the drooling. Me without a Kleenex, had to ride a very loooong subway ride home, drooling like a fiend. Felt like Boris Karloff or something. Healed up fine though, so wouldn’t worry too much.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Coincidence, my husband had a tooth extraction last week. He was scared sh**less and was going to ask for nitrous oxide but I told him it's not necessary. However, I did tell him to fill the prescription for Tylenol 3 just in case. Good thing he did because he was in discomfort that night. I made him read the sheet of instructions just in case he didn't believe me. I had a dental implant last year so knew the instructions would be similar. When your husband rinses his mouth with salt water make sure it's warm water, not hot or cold, and tell him not to spit out or rinse vigorously. The water should fall out of his mouth gradually.

Eating a soft diet is very important. I went out and bought DH applesauce, yogurt, pudding and ice cream. I would have bought cottage cheese but he dislikes it. He keeps complaining about not being able to eat potato chips. :lol: His biggest concern was going back to the gym to work out but the periodontist told him to wait a few days. He's doing much better now and I'm sure your husband will do fine too. Good luck! :crossfingers:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He says he's sore "in the hole" today, which is good as he had significant pain in his face, jaw, sinus...that is all gone, although his neck is sore...but that's just from not doing anything.
He (as far as I know) has been following directions properly.
He clotted really well the day of surgery. When he removed the gauze from the dentist, there was only a small amount of blood on it, he put another piece in just to be safe and keep the pressure on for a bit longer, but when he pulled that one out, there was hardly anything on it at all. Has not had any bleeding since.
So overall, I think he's doing fine and will probably heal well.
We will be going thru this again in a few weeks to get a second tooth removed that turns out was cracked...Dentist says it will probably be a more difficult removal as the tooth is pretty strong/attached well...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, me too, but my husband was lucky to get in as fast as he did so I wonder if he filled a cancellation spot and the dentist would not have had time to do both....IDK.