Took In Stray Pregnant Cat Unsure Of When She Will Give Birth And If Bringing Her In Was Right

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Last night I brought in a cat that I noticed at my boyfriends apartment complex about two weeks ago and could tell she was pregnant. She would run up to say hi to people when ever they came near her so eventually I decided I couldn't leave her to have her babies outside. I also don't believe she has lived her whole life outside due to how friendly she has been. I have never had a mama cat only ever done the bottle babies as young as a day old. I am wondering if anyone can give an idea of her due date with the picture I provide and if bringing her inside to stay in the bathroom was the best thing to do because although she doesn't seem very freaked out as she will let me pet her and will purr she is hiding behind the toilet and has been since I brought her in and not in the box with the towels so I can not imagine she is nesting. I can easily feel the babies when I lightly press on the side of her tummy and she doesn't mind she just purrs away as I pet her but still will not come out from where she's hiding. I did notice she ate most of the small can of wet food I left in there but drank very little water and none of the hard food (all kitten food). Also if anyone has any tips I would appreciate them greatly! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It only takes 9-12 weeks to give birth. I have never had to deal with a pregnant cat. My guess is they're ready to come out any day from her size. Just be sure to feed her lots of canned food. I read they need 3 5.5 oz cans a day

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this cat. First, I am not an expert. But I have rested a pregnant cat. But I suspect the cat is hiding because this is a new environment for her. She may quit hiding after a few days.

I think you are doing the right thing, feeding her kitten food. She needs the extra protein and calories. And keep feeding her that until she weans the kittens.
You might buy some Kitten Milk Replacement (I think KMR is one brand) and keep a bowl out for her, it is a good source of calcium, calories, and other good things.

Does she have fleas? If she does, you need to treat her for those. Otherwise, they will go after the kittens as soon as they are born. They will give the kittens tape worms plus the blood loss can cause them problems.

A vet visit for her would be a good idea, if possible.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And of course you did the right thing! Have you ever had a pet cat? Again, good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And of course you did the right thing! Have you ever had a pet cat? Again, good luck!
Thank you for all that I will for sure pick up some KMR tomorrow she does have fleas and obviously is in no mood for me to try a flea bath so I did contact my vet and they said frontline would be okay to put on her before the kittens come so that I did do early this morning but did see some live ones tonight. I have done the dawn baths on itty bitty babies if it comes down to it but the parasites the mom could have are the real issue. I will hopefully be able to get her into my vet Monday I am just very worried about making everything very stressful for her and causing her to go into labor early. I have had three cats before but all were fixed by the shelter before they came home and didn't have to be locked in a room. I do have two dogs though so in order to not stress her out and keep the fleas contained she has the bathroom right now and when she warms up she can have the connecting bedroom as well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think you will keep her once the kittens are weaned? Or try to find a home for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurastanton8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think you will keep her once the kittens are weaned? Or try to find a home for her?
I am not able to keep her because my one roommate is allergic and a life in a room wouldn't be fair but hopefully will get my parents to take her since they recently lost two of their cats. If not though i'll find her a new home with the shelters help so I know she's going somewhere safe and will for sure be fixed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes people become immune to their own cats and their allergies no longer bother them. But good to know this cat is safe now, and will have a good life.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of taking the cat & kittens to a no kill shelter, why not a rescue group? Google is your friend -- most volunteer rescue groups also maintain an internet web site. Thanks for taking in the cat. Good luck!

Last edited: