took in a stray, with complications.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping this little sweetheart. I hope she starts eating on her own again, she has been through so much...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, eating litter is a sign of anemia. That was the first symptom Tuxie exhibited.

What deworming meds are you using? I'm wondering why a topical wasn't used for her? Either way, deworming meds are a poison (to kill the parasites) and a (very) sick kitty can be affected by them.

I'm glad you're getting food and water down her - that is imperative.

But with her anemia, she can go down hill rapidly. If this were us, we'd be at the emergency vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second a trip to the emergency vet. She might need some sub-q fluids and liquid nutrition. Since she's not eating and drinking normally, the toxins from her own body plus the dewormer may be building up in her system and they need to be flushed out.

To help keep her warm, you can make a rice sock. Take an old tube sock and fill partly with rice. Tie it off, warm it up in the microwave for a few minutes, then place it next to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drsmaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found her unloved, sick, and cold. I gave her everything I could within my means. She held on so tight, fighting as hard as I fought. But she was too hurt inside to continue.
One of the sweetest animals I ever came across - cute, shy, sometimes unruly and stuborn. But loved to be held by her dad, and in the end, that's how she left - in my arms.
It's so sad to try so hard for something as beautiful as her, only to watch it slowly fade.

Past day and a half,Sadie stopped eating, drinking, and looking around. Poor thing scooted her butt over her bed, just to go pee. She couldn't stand, or keep her head up and everything shook on her, I knew it was only a matter of time.She was kept warm, hydrated, and fed, but I still couldn't stop mother nature, so be it.

I put her in the car to the emergency vet, she didnt move an inch the whole way. Vet grabbed her instantly, put her on oxygen, and gave me a choice. I was told she had maybe an hour left. So, I took as much of that time with her to hold her and keep her warm. She was loved and cared for the last 10 days of her life, up to the last second, I was by her side.

She was euthanized tonight around 8:45

Goodnight Sadie girl
Love,
Dad.

Thank you everyone, you all were wonderful, God bless.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry! You're right - most importantly she was loved and cared for, and I know she loves you for it.

Play happily over the bridge, Sadie, whole and healthy again!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear she couldnt win this battle, but she was lucky to have been found by you and given every possible opportunity, sometimes loving them and setting them free is the only thing we can do for them. RIP little one.

debster747

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been reading your posts with interest. I'm so sorry for the sad ending. This is the most difficult part of being a pet owner. You did all you could. Bless you and may she rest in peace at the rainbow bridge.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following these posts with so much interest and concern. My heart is breaking as I read this. I am so sorry but I am so glad she had love and such good care from you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so saddened to read this! What a beautiful, beautiful tribute to sweet Sadie. You gave her all you had and she knew love and comfort at the end of her life. Bless you for caring and taking her in.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one really made me break down.

RIP, sweet darling. Play happily at the Rainbow Bridge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drsmaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, Thank you all for you heartfelt responses. The support here has been absolutely wonderful.

Now, my 3yr old boy cat (chloe) is depressed. I know him like a book, and he is not sick, just a little sad. He keeps looking for Sadie. Every weird noise he hears, he runs to it and is looking for her. He's still eating, but leaves some in his bowl. I swear he is leaving food for Sadie, cause she always tried to eat his stuff too. Oh man, here I go again, but I'm wondering if adopting a new sister for Chloe would be the right answer.
Although, he may not welcome a new one, cause it's not Sadie's scent. I'm sure he'll be fine, but you can just tell by his actions that he misses her.

Again, thank you everyone for your support and kindness. The world would be such a great place if strangers were as kind as you.

Dave

RIP Sadie

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's a great idea to get another cat, but you might want to post a message in the general forum for input from others who are more experienced. Also, if you'd like, you can post a tribute to Sadie in the Crossing the Bridge forum, if you haven't done so already.

minouloveblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You tried so hard and she held on. My heart truly goes out to you. She knows you tried to save her. Bless you.