Took in a feral and need advice please

stacyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I started feeding this beautiful feral cat (his name is Cash) about 2 months ago. At first he would run so far when I would come out with his food and he wouldn't return
to eat for at least 20 minutes. By the last week or so he would sit at
my door and just wait till I came with his food. When I would open the
door he would still run but only a few feet away at the most and as
soon as I turned to go inside he would dash for his bowl. This past
Sunday I took him To get neutered, vaccinated and to make sure he was
healthy in general. Luckily his surgery went fine and his blood tests
came back that he was a healthy boy!
I have only had house cats and dogs so a feral is not something I know
about. I gave him a safe, comfy room with a
hiding spot (which is actually a heated cat house I purchased for him
because I didn't think he would be coming inside)
My question is, he won't come out of the bathroom (which is where we
have him) the bathroom is quite a nice size, I have his water, litter,
food, toys, blankets, house, and some cat calming music in there. He
Eats his food,although he won't while I am around, and uses the litter box. But He's just
laying in the house or sitting by the window. I opened the door to the bathroom 2 days after his arrival hoping he would come out and explore, he hasn't.
Can you tell me if this is normal? Is there a way to coax him out? I tried everything. Cooked chicken, salmon, toys, etc. He also won't play...He will watch me while I try to play with him but that's about it.Do you think he is sad? I know this isn't a house cat and I know this is
not a normal circumstance, I just want to give this precious boy a
good life with love, food, shelter. It will be one week tomorrow since he went to the dr. I don't want to rush him. I feel lucky he hasn't hissed at me or tried to slap me!
When I do go in and talk to him he just lays there and he even starts
to shut his eyes as if he were falling asleep which makes me think
there is some level of trust since I read cats won't close there eyes
if they don't trust you. Maybe I am thinking to much but Any advice
would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you so much for any advise!!

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a very normal cat. When mine moved in with me, he was used to humans, and even he lived in one room for a week. This poor guy went from living in the woods to a surgery to your strange bathroom all in a few days.

Keep the door shut to give him privacy. He will be more on edge if he is constantly seeing feet pass by or hearing the door creak. Go in there a few times a day. Sit on the floor, play with your phone or do a crossword, and talk to him from a distance. Keep the food and fresh water coming with no pressure. He will start by eating and grooming with you in the room. Then he will let you touch him. Eventually he will get brave enough to follow you out.

It takes time, but it works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much vbcatparent, it makes me feel better to know this is "normal" behavior. I will close the door and see how it goes :)
He definitely had a traumatic week, poor little guy. Thank you again!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely normal. 1 week isn't a long time at all. Some cats, even those that aren't feral, take months to even come out of the initial room. Different cats adjust differently. My cat took 3 days before he'd come out from under the recliner to eat, and then another 2 weeks to come out when I'm around.

stacyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information phicat, if you don't mind me asking you another question, like I said, we have in the bathroom with all his necessities, food, water, litter, toys, bed etc. During the day when I am home I keep the bathroom door open with the hope he will come on out but at night I shut the door. Should I leave a light on for him (it's one 40 watt soft light) or should I keep him in the dark? Unfortunately I went to put a nightlight in and we realized the electric in the outlet isn't working so until the electrician comes I can leave the brighter 40 watt light or no light on.
Thank you so much!!!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have excellent night vision, so I wouldn't worry about lighting. I don't think he cares either way to be honest. Only time I'd put a light is if I know for a fact that kitty has vision problems at night.

stacyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again fhicat!