Took in 2 kittens. They have worms. Advice needed.

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Took in 2 kittens who apparently have worms. See worms in litter box and one vomited up some food and the worm was in the vomit.
Is there any over the counter treatment I can administer or is this a vet appointment?

Waiting on rescue to take them but they are short staffed. Anything to do in the mean time?
Thank you

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think if you can the best option is going to the vet, that way you get the right dewormer for the worms the kittens have as well as the proper dosage for their age and weight. There are a few different meds on the market, and since they are so infected they are throwing up worms you may need a specific one or repeat treatments to kill them all. They may even need antibiotics since bad worm infestations can lead to gut infections.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old are these kittens? There are broad spectrum wormers that can be given to kittens over 2 lbs. Drontal is a common one.
DRONTAL Tablets for Cats & Kittens, 2-16 lbs, 5 tablets - Chewy.com
You might want to see what your vet says about this treatment.

Broad-spectrum dewormers contain a mix of both praziquantel and pyrantel pamoate, enabling them to destroy the most common intestinal parasites of cats. You should be aware, however, that these dewormers come with a higher incidence of side effects compared to worm-specific products.

You can also ask your vet about taking a sample of the kittens' stool for testing to determine the specific type of worm involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies. I will be following up with my vet. I have some of the worms in a jar of water for showing to the vet.

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe the kittens are about 3-4 months old

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: welcome to TCS! Thank you for taking care of those kittens. How old are they? I think that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has good suggestions. Does the rescue have a vet that they typically use? That vet might examine a sample for a minimal charge.
Unfortunately no, I’m trying to see which vet can give me a fair price. (After explaining the situation to them)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little ones. Thank you for taking them in! An infestation where you see worms being thrown up and in poop is definitely needing to be addressed. Are the kittens showing any lethargy or other signs of the worms affecting them? If they become lethargic, try to go ahead and get some form of treatment started. Please keep us updated.