Took home a stray cat- getting more aggressive?

cowcow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, really would appreciate some advice here. My cat's behavior is stressing me out!

So I recently took home a stray cat last month who was very sweet and loved petting. She adjusted very fast to household living, which supported my assumption that she was previously abandoned. The first 1 week or so she was really lovely and affectionate. I was able to trim her nails on 1 paw with no problems and even give her belly rubs! However recently she's been getting more aggressive, like swatting at my hand when I touch her paws and hind legs, which she previously was ok with. I've brought her to the vet already and she was given a physical examination with no abnormal results.

In your experience, is there any reason for her sudden change in personality? :(

If it's any help I feed and clear her litter twice a day and play with her for about 5-10 mins at night. She sometimes doesn't really like playing, preferring to sit on my bed and nap the whole day.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cowcow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup she's spayed!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think maybe an anti anxiety medication? She sounds stressed for some reason. Doing a limited run of the meds could help to reboot her.

I would also think about introducing other toys. She might need more stimulation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cowcow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm yes I was thinking of feliway and putting some rescue remedy in her food. Perhaps she's stressed from coming into the household.

What kind of toys would be good? I have a fishing pole toy, a cat wand, a few balls, a cat condo and many scratchers but she only seems to enjoy the scratchers. :(