Too young to neuter?

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, they are both over 1 kg already.  

I have heard that neutering males young increases the likelihood of UTI developing, and I've heard that there's no correlation.  This is one of those things where I find it hard to decide what's true or not.  On the one hand, I think there's a certain bias toward saying that neutering causes no problems whatsoever, so that people will do it.  I understand not wanting to give people an excuse not to neuter their pets right away.  Neutering young does cause changes physiologically for a cat, so I find it feasible that it would cause a difference, but it might not.  There have been studies done, of course, and most of the material I read point to one study or another, but that's tricky, too, because it's widely accepted within science that one study is NOT proof, and results must be replicated by various individuals.  

I wonder, too, at what age there's a risk of the cat spraying.  Also, I've read that males neutered young will have different facial features.  Not sure I care either way about the face, but at what age is that affected?  

At any rate, these aren't factors for spaying Kubla, so I will definitely spay her ASAP and then see about Besti later.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that most boys won't start acting "tom-ish" until 8-10 months. And usually they show signs other than spraying at first, so you have a little warning to get it done quick! :lol3: But I also don't think there's any reason to wait. I've never really neutered a male before 5 months (not worth arguing with the vet about) so I don't have any personal experience with early neuters. None of my boys have had any urinary troubles though (I do have a female with FLUTD), and hopefully that will continue. I really think most urinary issues are caused by dry food.

Basically, if there's no reason you HAVE to neuter him young, I don't see any benefit in it. If your vet wants to wait until 6 months, no problem. As long as she's spayed before anything happens. I've had females spayed as young as 14 weeks and I don't really see any difference from having it done at 6 months+ (except that older females, older than 2 years old or so, really take it a lot harder and need about a week's worth of pain meds).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest boys are 6, were done at 10 weeks and no issues. Likewise with all kittens I've bred male and female

The males don't get jowels - making the face rounder, when done early, my 13 month old working stud boy is only just looking boy-ish
He has no behaviors either, doesn't spray and isn't rowdy or aggressive as they can be

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were already nuetered VERY early at the shelter when I adopted  them. Both were around 7-8 weeks. I wouldn't have chosen that early but just wanted to say they are 1 1/2 years now and have never had any problems.

Maybe that explains why one has a small head and little whisker pads. The early nuetering ?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if a cat can get pregnant the first time ? I was thinking about getting a new  Perisan cat and I want kittens then spay her.

dejolane

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if a cat can get pregnant the first time ? I was thinking about getting a new  Perisan cat and I want kittens then spay her.

dejolane
Yes they can take on the first time. However it's highly irresponsible to breed a pet cat, and no reputable Persian breeder will sell you a pet cat allowing her to be bred from - this is why many breeders spay before rehoming because only registered breeders should be breeding.