Too Skinny

mindy10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a cat that is about 3 years old.  I got from the pound.  She was dewormed and checked over from a vet to.  My question is she seems very skinny to me.  She is 8 pounds.  I dont know if its because she is very tall.  She has long legs.  I cant give her wet food because it goes right threw her.  Dry food if she eats fast and doesnt chew she will throw it up so Im nervous she is not getting enough calories a day.  Do you think from the picture she looks to skinny.  Any ideas on how to fatten her up a little?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you took her to the Vet, did they say she needed to put on weight? It's hard to tell from the pictures, since she's laying down.  But if she's throwing up if she eats too much at one sitting, then you could just try feeding her more frequently, but smaller meals.  And, if course, a lot of it depends on what you are feeding her.  A good quality cat food?  Grain free? 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HI and welcome!! I do think she looks skinny in the laying down picture :(..... I wonder if some blood work is in order? If she is vomiting food and the wet food runs through her, I think she needs a few tests. Also, she could have a hairball. That would cause the vomiting of the food shortly after and would also cause some diarrhea if there is a hairball trying to make it's way through. She is really pretty! I hope you can get an answer from your vet. I also agree with Sally that you might want to look at her diet. What is she eating? Good luck... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the second picture-does she look that sunken in in person?  like under the ribs to the base of her tail.  There are guides online if you look.  if you are seeing a big indent behind ribs when she is standing or see bones I would say yes for sure.

Was she tested for FELV/FIV?  It should say on paperwork.  Or on the website/petfinder.com site

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mindy10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Everyone.  I bought her some vitamin extra calorie gel to put in her food and I will give that a month to see if I can get some weight on her.  My friend thinks she is a fine weight because she is a very tall cat.  I think she has simese in her because you should hear her meowwwwwww!  Very loud!! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mindy10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and yes she was tested for FIV/FEL.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just got her it is worth calling to see if the shelter vet can see her again.  I do have a few who just look thin no matter what and bloodworks showed all is fine.  I would try to find out now if it is something rather then wait if possible