too rough?

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently took over care of my brother's cat, and she and my cat have been playing together a lot. My concern is that they are playing too rough. They bite, pounce, smack, and pin each other down. They don't hiss or puff up their fur, but I'm just worried it's too rough for them. At what point is it too much? How do I stop this play from getting one of them hurt?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd just keep an eye on them and check them to ensure neither one is bleeding or getting hurt. Did you give them time to adjust to one another? We kept Bijou and Mika separated when we were not at home for a whole month before letting them stay together unsupervised.

Your cats are probably "fighting" to establish dominance. Like I said, unless one or both of them are getting hurt, I would let them work it out between them.

corteo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'd just keep an eye on them and check them to ensure neither one is bleeding or getting hurt. Did you give them time to adjust to one another? We kept Bijou and Mika separated when we were not at home for a whole month before letting them stay together unsupervised.

Your cats are probably "fighting" to establish dominance. Like I said, unless one or both of them are getting hurt, I would let them work it out between them.
I agree completely with Yosemite, I have an old cat Tibber and a kitten Fungo they had power struggles like Casienjoy described. Just make sure that they are not hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They had a rather extended adjustment period... she stayed mainly in my brother's room for the first 4 months we had her. After that she started coming out more. He lost his job and couldn't afford her so I took over and moved her into my room. There was always a bit of competition between them, but now it seems like they like each other. They even sleep together. They're great, except for when they play. It doesn't seem like they're fighting. Neither of them gets upset usually, and when one gets upset the other usually stops. I just want to make sure they don't play too rough. I have heard that cats play rough, but as these are my first cats I've never seen quite how rough they should normally be. I'm worrying a little more than I usually would because the first cat (Meisje) has some slight brain damage and I don't know that she always recognizes what Paris is saying, or how to tell Paris something without getting too extreme.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF they are sleeping together they're fine! My boys play terribly rough! Jack never learned how to play because he was without siblings and mom and Harley grew up on the streets. I monitor them very closely but regardless of how rough it gets an hour later you can find them asleep on the bed together!

Leslie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou is easily twice Mika's size and weight - he plays really rough with her sometimes and I generally intervene but then 10 minutes later they are curled up together sleeping.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine play really rough too, but I do know they love each other... Whenever I think one is going to get hurt, I intervene, otherwise I leave to themselves to sort it out.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If cats dont like each other, there will not be any positive interaction.
My Kiko and Ducky are brothers and since they were kittens, they always loved to wrestle. They are very close to each to each other and are always together, running through the house like little elephants, they groom each each other and they play really hard everyday.

Some cats do play hard, if its really fighting, they will be screaming, hissing, growling and their body postures will show signs, as well.