Too much food!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So when I went to get the good food for Parker, I got the large cans, not really thinking..he isn't really a big eater so I am finding the huge cans are lasting, what is probably too long. I'm guessing their food spoils in the fridge after 3 or so days...I still have a few more large cans to go...I really hate to waste it by having it go bad...any ideas of how I keep it longer? Its too expensive to throw out! lol

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DO you have can covers? technically with a can cover it should last a week... You can remove the food from the can and put it into a glass container

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have them. I had put it into a container with a cover though. A week would be enough, I just thought it went bad after only a few days. Thanks!

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi LuvMyParker

A few months ago we started feeding our boys some wet food at night, and our vet advised that it should not be kept for more than 24-36 hours. Even refrigerated in glass containers.

So I thought I'd try freezing it. (I hated the thought of throwing away at least 1/4 a can per night.. and we feed an Rx wet food.. so it's expensive! And while I don't mind spending the money for the boys to eat, I do have problems spending money to throw food away. That goes for human food too.
)

So anyway, I usually feed them around 7:30pm every night. Then I just plop the extra 1/4 can into a freezer safe container and freeze it for the night. Then before I leave for work, I take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator to slowly defrost. That way, it's really only being refrigerated for about 12 hours, since the rest of the time it's frozen.

And my boys actually eat it without any problems. Go figure. I was skeptical, but oddly enough, I think two of my three like it better once it's been frozen and defrosted. Little fuzzy weirdos.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JennG

Hi LuvMyParker

A few months ago we started feeding our boys some wet food at night, and our vet advised that it should not be kept for more than 24-36 hours. Even refrigerated in glass containers.

So I thought I'd try freezing it. (I hated the thought of throwing away at least 1/4 a can per night.. and we feed an Rx wet food.. so it's expensive! And while I don't mind spending the money for the boys to eat, I do have problems spending money to throw food away. That goes for human food too.
)

So anyway, I usually feed them around 7:30pm every night. Then I just plop the extra 1/4 can into a freezer safe container and freeze it for the night. Then before I leave for work, I take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator to slowly defrost. That way, it's really only being refrigerated for about 12 hours, since the rest of the time it's frozen.

And my boys actually eat it without any problems. Go figure. I was skeptical, but oddly enough, I think two of my three like it better once it's been frozen and defrosted. Little fuzzy weirdos.
off topic but it sounds like a catcisle