Too Many Mouths To Feed!

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I searched the forums and couldn't find a situation like my own, so here goes:

Tl;Dr-- small kittens in a litter of 8 aren't getting enough food??? Bottle feeding every 2-3 hours based on hunger cries/insufficient nursing.

Long story: I began fostering for my local humane Association about 2 weeks ago. We took on a first time momma (Estimated at 1-2 years old) and her 6 chunky, growing kittens. The kittens were born July 23,2018 in captivity and Cheeky is a great mother. Her litter is 34 days old, strongly developed, and begining on pate food.

On Friday (almost 72 hours ago) I got an urgent call from the humane Association that they had 2 tiny orphans, and the Vet Tech requested that we attempt an introduction. Luckily, with scent mingling and patience, Cheeky has adopted and nursed these orphans.

Our provlem NOW is that Cheeky has 2 false nipples that never developed a milk flow. It was fine when she had 6, but now with 8 we are attempting to rotate and having so much difficulty! How do I balance the needs of her older, stronger kittens with the 2 orphans?

Weight at intake of the 2 orphans was 8.3 oz and 7.9oz. I estimate that they are ~21 days old, because they have canine teeth and are beginning to run. Ears almost fully erect... But you can feel every bone in their little bodies!

We are supplementing CheekysC nursing efforts as much as possible, but any advice on how to continue/balance the litter needs would be so appreciated! Momma Cheeky is showing signs of being overwhelmed.
IMG_20180826_112001.jpg
Screenshot_20180826-101348.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As you say, rotating is the usual trick. A subtrick is, to give the weakest / smallest to momma (but supplementing if necessary) so the weakest have the priority with momma, and handfeed the bigger & stronger.

Weighing them every day help you to see if they get enough. They shall add minimum 6g a day, but we arent pleased with less than 10+ grams a day.

What kmr do you have access to? Can you get raw goats milk? - this is often an advantage.

Give momma as much calcium rich food you can give - may be goats milk or kmr, full fat youghurt, some cheese. Even boiled egg shells crushed into fine powder, sprinkle some on her food alike salt.

Egg yolk is good, may be raw. Whole eggs only boiled or scrambled - raw egg white not good.

TheDepthsAndSkies TheDepthsAndSkies

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. You use glowes, why?

There may be many reasons, but know:
Momma wont get distraght by your scent, especielly not if she is used to you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have teeth, you can start them on solids. A nice mush/soup of canned kitten food and KMR. If they eat it, that would take some pressure off the poor mama. It wouldn't hurt to give her some KMR too. They're probably about the same age as her own kittens; just undersized due to malnourishment, poor things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions! We will begin Calcium supplementing momma today, although I'm concerned that she will have GI issues. Her original 6 got KMR /pate slurry once before they were fully self-eliminating and she developed loose stools after cleaning them.

Cheeky weighs 10.2 pounds- I'll try (pasturized) goats milk and full fat yogurt instead of KMR. How much should I provide per feeding? She has unlimited access to Hill's Science Diet kitten food and recieves aproximately 1 oz of Friskies pate, 2x daily. Of course, she has constant access to fresh water.

I hesitate to bottle feed the original 6 because they have never drank from a bottle, but they are beginning to explore momma's water dish and love their pate snacks. I can increase their solids intake?

To clarify, I don't use gloves at home. The side-by-side picture was the intake photo at the humane Association. I'm happy to report that ''Stripes" has gained .4oz and 'Dilute' has gained .6oz since yesterday. Our KMR brand is as pictured. PetAg newborn-6 weeks.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds excellent!

Would you call mommas loose stol for diarrhea?
If so adding salts may be necessary. For example as a clear flavorless pedialyte for babies.

Anyway yoghurt and this kmr contains probiotics.
Goats milk is mild so together it should improve less unbalancess.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're probably about the same age as her own kittens; just undersized due to malnourishment, poor things.
Agreed, their development is just barely behind our original 6. My 'runt' of Cheekys litter is something like 14.2 oz, and our largest kitten weighs in at 17.4 oz!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, at this age I wouldn't suggest bottle-feeding the originals. Just increase their solid intake. Maybe provide a dish of KMR so they can drink from it if they want. At this age they're ready to begin weaning, and kittens from larger litters do tend to wean earlier, so it should all be fine.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I raise an orphaned litter that were around 3 weeks old I didn't have a mother cat to take them so I just mixed the kmr with kitten food and water (as per the vet's instructions). I served it to them in a bowl, I think it was 4 times a day. They just kind of sucked it up.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good evening from Wisconsin, USA! I purchased plain goat's milk kefir and am about to offer a teaspoon (5ml) warmed and mixed into Momma's wet food.

Do anyone have advice on the dosage of goats milk / calcium that is appropriate for a 4.6 kg nursing queen?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree.
I dont know the exact dosages but its good nourishment so its just to give as much she takes.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, despite a teeny introduction, I think the goat kefir upset momma's tummy. I chose kefir over milk because its essentially liquid yogurt, high in fat and probiotics, and I thought the liquid would be more pleasing than raw goat's cheese. Now I'm wishing I'd have bought the pasturized milk . (USA requires pasturization, I don't know any local farmers)

I did not witness the vomiting, but found a small pile in the nursery that must have come from momma (white chunks look like milk curds, and texture appears to be her pate).

Her litter box seems normal thus far, but its only been a few hours. Also, in regards to StephanZ's question regarding loose stools yesterday... It was not diarrhea, just soft compared to her normal.

The good news is that Momma is seeming much more comfortable with her big brood today! We're giving pate to the older kittens- it has not stopped them from insistently nursing, but they come and go much more frequently, its pretty obvious that those ones nurse for comfort and bonding, . '''stripes" and "dilute" are both frequently nursing, and Momma is very patient with their needs.

I've attached a lovely photo of Mommas vomit, sorry . Any idea why she threw up? Any suggestions on how to introduce the kefir? (And should I buy the pasturized milk tomorrow morning?)
IMG_20180828_001110.jpg

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pasturized goats milk is probably milder. Kefir is perhaps a little sour?

Im not saying this is why she vomited. My resident cats do vomit sometimes, not always with fur and hairs they swallowed when washing themselves.
And yet they are healthy and have stomach of iron.

I know raw IS sold in many places. Often in shops for health minded people. Of course may be pricey. There may also be frozen raw goats milk.

But as far we look at the nourishment, pasteurized is OK. Or powdered. Just be sure its no funny low fat diet variation.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat has a delicate stomach and our vet has recommended famotidine 2.5mg on an as-needed basis for him. I will call my vet and see if they recommend an antacid for Momma Cheeky...

Also, has anyone given crushed Tums (Calcium Carbonate) as a calcium supplement to their cats? One tablet has like 500mg Ca!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't supplement with calcium without a vet's supervision. It's easy to overdose that way (too much calcium can cause constipation and other issues). Just provide her with some goat's milk and other good nutritious foods and that should be enough.