Too many cats?

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi just something i was thinking about earlier, how many cats is too many?
Just that i know a guy who has 16 cats in a one bed apartment.... to me thats too many for that little space, and they're all indoor.
Just wondered what number you guys think is too many?

tamme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely think that's WAY too many! How did this guy get so many cats?? and WHY wouldm't he get a bigger place? That's just ignorance IMO.

I personally think that if there is a question whether or not your place is big enough, then it's not!

nunny

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know a woman that has 15 cats in a one-bedroom appt. Its too mny, and not very wise - as she can hardly pay for all their treatments!!
Its not enought to love them...

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on how much space you have, and if they are outdoor/indoor cats...I only have 2 and we could probably have room for a couple more, but hubby says no..but WOWZERS!! 16 cats!!! That is way too many I think.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely waaaay too many. Some people can have 10 or 12 cats and be fine, it really depends on how much space there is for the cats and whether they're ferals, indoor/outdoor cats or completely indoor cats. How would this guy have room for all the litter trays???

There are some people around called 'collectors'. They cannot say no to an abandoned animal and eventually get into a situation where they have so many animals, they cannot feed or look after themselves properly, let alone the poor animals! I hope this guy is coping OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes this guy does have way to many, like someone said, he just can't say no and is forever adding to his collection.
He only works part time, And has a good job, so he can afford to look after them. There are litter trays everywhere!!! And although they are normally clean, the place reeks of urine.
His life is the cats, and you can see that he adores them, like i said he just can't say no, and people are always bring him unwanted cats.
In a way, i can see they are better at his home than at the rescue as he does give them all the individual attention and love they need.Some of them have temprement problems and if it wasn't for him then they would certainly end up put to sleep

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking as one who is owned by a dozen cats, I have to agree that unless you have a decent amount of space, you have no business having a lot of cats. While the main level of my house is about 1000 sq feet, I also have a finished attic and a finished basement, so their territory is about 3000 square feet. I feel like we are at the limit of how many cats we can happily keep in this amount of space. There is room for them to be alone, room for them to play, etc.

When I lived in a one bedroom apartment, I only had Midnight. More than one cat seemed too much for that small space.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think it depends on the space and money you have. My house isn't very large but I think I can comfortable live around 6 cat inside. We have three beds rooms, one and a half baths and a enclosed heated/air condtioned porch. We are planning on turning the enclosed porch in to an area for food and litter boxes.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the cats fixed? If not he is going to have an even bigger problem. I would have the humaine society see if they could take a few of the nicer cats and find them a home.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good point, Teresa! And let me add that ALL of my cats are fixed!!!!! Only two are declawed, they were that way already when we adopted them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes they are all fixed.
Let me say that these cats are all well looked after, it's just when you're there it feels like there are cats everywhere you look... very claustrophobic.

This man isn't a bad person, quite the opposite, he cares and loves his cats very very much. In a way it's his love for these animals which have led to where he is now

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think if they are all well cared for and happy there is no problem. I mean if he want's to be around alot of cats and manages to keep his place clean and the cats healthy, more power to him!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My House & My Breeding Co-partner( My Nana ) Together we have over 40 cats, NOW some of you are probably agaianst it because they live in cages but only about 8 cats can be roaming indoors or out at a time, We are NOT cat farmers just have a passion for the Persian Breed, Everyone of our cats gets loads of
and attention and CATS is my Nanas full time job, I can't say Wow he has too many cats when I have more...
-Sam-

lucia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats in my one-bedroom NYC apartment.
That would probably be one too many except that my two russian blues are
very mature cats who lounge around mostly and look good.
I also use just one very large litter box, since they dont demand separate ones.

xastion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
40 cats that live in cages? What size cages are you talking about? That's an uncomfortable thought.

I think too many cats is when a person begins denying them what they deserve - health and happiness. And also when a person begins denying themselves as well, because if you can't feed yourself then you will eventually be unable to feed the cats.

G

ghostuser

I don't think cats and cages go well together, I know my guys are all over our 3-bedroom home!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is about 1,700ish sq. ft. and with my husband, son and 4 cats running around, it got crowded over here. My cats are too big (14-22lbs) to coupe up. Plus they really need room to stretch their legs and exercise at that weight.
Our cat enclosure saved our sanity! Not to mention, the house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore. I can't imagine 16 cats in a 1 bedroom apartment. Our 4 cats HOG our bed as it is, LOL!

chrizluvzcatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cages? o my goodness?!? That is just wrong!
poor kitties! How about a lil room for each one
haha I have 7 and I am still adding but I have the time and money to take care of each one of them. And all my animals get along with each other. Just like that guy on the tv talking about care for animals with all the animals running around getting along while he talks on his tv show...that is me with my birds and dogs and cats and turtles and fish(maybe not the fish) but the ducks and everything! o and my fiance, and me ofcourse hehe

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
18 cats here on four acres and then some. Two large barns for the barn cats, a knife shop plus the house where they have an inside/outside option, and the second floor is nothing other than a cat room for when they are sick, or injured, or when the new ones come in and I have to merge them gradually into the crew.

It is to many cats when you find that you cannot provide quality care, including vet visits or if your house smells like a litterbox all the time.