Too Many Cats? Knowing When to say When?

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have ten. I live on a HUGE farm in the middle of the boonies so they run wild all day long and come in at night and fall out in strategic places where NO ONE can find them to count heads and make sure they are in. My dad always claims to have a stock in Purina as much as we buy in a years time, but lucky for us, we manage to feed them and ourselves, the two dogs, and our Clydesdale horse name Riley! I am done at 10 unless I find one that is in dire need of my help, and more than likely I will find it a home somewhere safe. I always say "No one can love a cat more than me!" and my mom melts and gives in, so we always have "one more" Lol!

But it's all in whatever you are comfortable with. You have to stay within your means and what you can handle! Just remember, however many you have is how many get to live another day and don't have to be put to sleep!

mazobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three, which may become four eventually, so I don't think you have a problem. My SIL has dozens, and although she has a large farmhouse it is way too many. When you walk in you are hit with a wall of dander, and I've never regarded myself as allergic. I really think it's ocd-type behavior.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I don't think I have too many, when in the middle of clipping 126 claws and brushing 8 mouths... I begin to wonder if I've lost my mind.

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add a comment to this. Up until last summer, we had 5 cats and 3 dogs. I never intended to have 5 cats, but as a teenager, my son kept bringing home kittens and there was always some reason that they were in need and NO ONE BUT US could take them. It got to the point that I was stressed out and constantly feeling guilty that I wasn't taking good care of all the animals, attention, medical care, etc. Both of the cats I lost last summer may have been able to be saved except when my husband was laid off, we were so stretched financially. The thing it taught me is that I will never again take in more pets than I can handle, either financially or emotionally. Rescue is lovely, but it isn't a kindness if you don't really have the resources.

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

While I don't think I have too many, when in the middle of clipping 126 claws and brushing 8 mouths... I begin to wonder if I've lost my mind.
That is so funny! Thanks for the laugh =)