Tomorrow is the big day!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do I sound like a wimp complaining about my fractured tooth procedure? I've never been afraid to go to dentists, but I really am dreading this procedure. picked up the prescriptions today for antibiotics and pain killers. He said I might have a swollen cheek and maybe black and blue. I really did like this oral surgeon a lot --- very friendly, explained things, encouraging, etc. He is Asian - from Burma I think. My dentist is from Viet Nam, Paul's cardiologist from Holland, internist and diabetes dr from the Philippines. Guess our dr's are a leage of nations. But what I like is that they are all so warm and friendly. Guess that helps take the sting away slightly. Except in the pocketbook. Yesterday's consultation, and panormic ex-rays cost $250- tomorrow $725. And then there's the partial that I'll have to get for the bottom. Wish we had dental insurance. But I guess I really shouldn't complain. What do people do who have medical issues and don't have the money at all to pay for the procedures?

Anyway, think of me at 10:30 tomorrow morning.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hear you!! I am a pediatrics oncologist -someone who insists my sometimes tiny patients MUST see a dentist since even an infected tooth an ultimately kill someone with cancer. (They usually die from complications and not the actual cancer) . And yet I am on the younger end of the baby boomers who has what I call edental phibia ". I put off dental work -and even see a friend who is on the faculty at the same university where I teach so he can lol @ me and I feel relaxed. I suspect many in my generation had bad experiences with dentists and we have carried it over. I hope all went well - take anti inflammatories or even percocet ylike vicoden) or asa with codeine if the dentist recommends. There is no point being in pain. Also wise ice not heat. Heat -if there is any infection -tho this does sound like your situation - only makes the infection incubate and grow! Please take care and get lots of rest. It is great you have good rapport. I wish you well.

You can think of me next month. I must see an endodontist for a tooth infected and on which I have had several riot canals but now am having either veneers or a completely new tooth built. I asked my dentist friend to find me a dentist who is good with dental Phobos people. And he did. But I still worry!! My younger patients have more courage!! :-)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is Asian - from Burma I think. My dentist is from Viet Nam, Paul's cardiologist from Holland, internist and diabetes dr from the Philippines. Guess our dr's are a leage of nations. But what I like is that they are all so warm and friendly. 

They certainly are!  I find that is common in this area as well.  My friend and I were laughing because we've had the same OBGYNs.  Our first doctor was American and moved overseas to practice.  Our current is from Nigeria but moved here to practice.  Go figure.  Both are great doctors.  My only complaint is that our current one speaks so softly and sometimes facing the wrong way that I can't hear him!  When your seeing that doctor monthly and eventually weekly; you get tired of asking him to repeat! 
  (Another friend said she has the same problem with him. hehe)

I will be thinking of you in the morning!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok - it's all over with and thankfully a very easy and pain-free procedure (so far). I had laughing gas - don't really know exactly what it does, but I was fully awake and just felt relaxed. Tooth came out easily and fortunately not in pieces. Home now, hardly any bleeding, took my antibiotics and pain med (although so far no pain). He said to wait around 3 weeks to see my regular dentist about the partial. He did say that I have a tooth right next to the one he removed that has some very old filling in it and might eventually have to be taken out. The dentist will check it and maybe just replace the filling. Oral surgeon said that at least with a partial you can always add a tooth to it if necessary. Dont' really want to take out a tooth unless it's absolutely necessary. Anyway, the worse is over with and was much easier than I anticipated. Was able to come home, have coffee and a muffin for lunch. Novacaine is starting to wear off but no pain at all so far.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. You guys are great and I feel like you're all my special friends.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad it went well. Take it easy and relax with your kitties! :)

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it went well. I was thinking about you!

I had 2 upper wisdom teeth extracted at my dentists. The first one week, and the second the next.  I had never had a tooth pulled that I can remember (though I'm missing 2 adult molars, so I must have had when I was a kid and don't remember it), and I was sent home with a wad of gauze in my mouth. I was terrified to take it out because I envisioned blood and gore.  Turns out there was hardly a spot of blood on the gauze at all.

Do you have to go back?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't have to go back to the oral surgeon, but in a few weeks I need to followup with the regular dentist to do an impression for the partial. Oral surgeon called me last night to see how I am feeling and make sure I had no problems. Thought that was very professional of him.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah they usually call you. :) I don't think mine did. I had a horrible time with mine getting pulled but was great in a few days. So glad you are doing well. :)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
. What do people do who have medical issues and don't have the money at all to pay for the procedures?
Wait for Medicaid to approve, then have it done, in my case.  Or go to the emergency room and have the hospital write it off. I had surgery 8 years ago, and one of the billing clerks tell me off the record that they made more writing off the $45,000 than they would have gotten from Medicaid.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait for Medicaid to approve, then have it done, in my case.  Or go to the emergency room and have the hospital write it off. I had surgery 8 years ago, and one of the billing clerks tell me off the record that they made more writing off the $45,000 than they would have gotten from Medicaid.
I believe it about MCAID.  They make very small, just token payments.  I know the state that the fire departments are in that I do ambulance billing for only pay $75 for an ambulance run.  My main teacher when I was in school for medical billing used to do physician's billing in Chicago and she seen them pay $2000 for a major surgical procedure that was sent in as a $50000 claim. That's why very few doctors will take MCAID.  The ambulance service is like an emergency room, they can't refuse transport to anyone.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do I sound like a wimp complaining about my fractured tooth procedure? I've never been afraid to go to dentists, but I really am dreading this procedure. picked up the prescriptions today for antibiotics and pain killers. He said I might have a swollen cheek and maybe black and blue. I really did like this oral surgeon a lot --- very friendly, explained things, encouraging, etc. He is Asian - from Burma I think. My dentist is from Viet Nam, Paul's cardiologist from Holland, internist and diabetes dr from the Philippines. Guess our dr's are a leage of nations. But what I like is that they are all so warm and friendly. Guess that helps take the sting away slightly. Except in the pocketbook. Yesterday's consultation, and panormic ex-rays cost $250- tomorrow $725. And then there's the partial that I'll have to get for the bottom. Wish we had dental insurance. But I guess I really shouldn't complain. What do people do who have medical issues and don't have the money at all to pay for the procedures?

Anyway, think of me at 10:30 tomorrow morning.
glad it went well

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't have to go back to the oral surgeon, but in a few weeks I need to followup with the regular dentist to do an impression for the partial. Oral surgeon called me last night to see how I am feeling and make sure I had no problems. Thought that was very professional of him.
In 2008 I had all my top teeth removed for a denture and when I got them back,I started gagging so I haven't had them in for awhile but now they are fine.I hated going around with no top teeth. I didn't look right. Finally I can smile right. I can't use those paper thins so I have to use the paste.