tom cats

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
can 2 tom cats ever live happily with each other in one house?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're neutered, they can be best friends, if not it's macho man time to see who's #1! They may play fight a lot even if fixed, and when they're older, the youngest may do a dominance trip on the older one, but that happens anyway with cats, whoever they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have 2 toms who are litter mates. they are just over a year old.
they were very close right up intill my queen had a litter of kittens. and since then i rarely see them here at the same time.

i am going to get they nuterd , but to be honest from experience, i have found that "once a tom , always a tom".
one is more territorial than the other, and since the arrival of the kittens has been spraying everywhere.

will they every settle the way they used to be, even after being nutered?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is less then ideal. If you have two I think they should be boy/girl or girl/girl.

I have too many stories of spraying when two (even neutered) male cats live together.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had male cats and they've got on fine together. They were neutered though. Having more than 1 un-neutered male together is asking for trouble, imo.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pussygalore

i am going to get they nuterd , but to be honest from experience, i have found that "once a tom , always a tom".
one is more territorial than the other, and since the arrival of the kittens has been spraying everywhere.

They are spraying to let the new additions know this is their territory. The sooner you get them neutered the better, they will calm down. I hope you are keeping them away from the unspayed female so she doesn't get pregnant again.
I have 3 males, all neutered and they get along fine.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pussygalore

i have 2 toms who are litter mates. they are just over a year old.
they were very close right up intill my queen had a litter of kittens. and since then i rarely see them here at the same time.

I would have them neutered because 1. they will begin to want to mate with your female which will lead to additional pregnancies 2. they will be prone to testicular cancer 3. there is a greater chance of negative behaviors (fighting, spraying etc.) from intact males.

When I had my male fixed, it actually made him much sweeter. We can provide you ways to hopefully help them to become better buddies, but first you need to get them neutered. Especially given that you have an intact female and it can take up to a month for males to no longer carry active sperm...time is of the essence.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they live compleatly seperate to my female who actually came to me as a rescue already pregnant. the males live more or less outside and in our conservatory and the female lives in the house as an indoor cat.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
toms will be toms!
My husband is a tom, no really, his name is Tom...and he's still @ 31 yrs old competitive with his brothers...wrestling with them, they always grab the 22 yold and put him in a head lock just to torture him. It sounds exactly like what your going through!

PS...love your screen name!
That's the nick name we call one of my girlfriends

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only if the two tom cats are neutered. Otherwise as they get older they will fight for dominance and over females too. Why do you think breeders with more then one tom cat have them separated?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two neutered boys get on fine, play fight and occasionally swipe at each other over a toy or the food bowl, but sleep together and generally are in each other's company a lot of the time.

sisi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they can you just have too show both of them the same love because they both get jealous 

You have to feed them at the same time pet at the same time until they get accustomed to one another and show them you are the boss.

I do not mean abuse them just when they square off to fight hit them a slight tap.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hitting cats never makes anything better (even a "slight tap"), and can make them mean. There are far better ways to manage kitty behavior, ways that are not likely to lead to worse problems.

This is a very old thread (almost 7 years!) so I don't think the OP is still around (and I hope she got her boys neutered!) but in case anyone else looks it up, yes, neutering even older males does make a big difference in how they get along! :D.

Last edited: