Tom attacking my young colony -

caryncats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya all! I've been caring for a sweet young all girl colony that have been tnr'd. There are 2 from a litter early last spring & 3 from a summer litter...mom sadly was killed in the road in October. I have heated shelters for them in my garage with a cat door & a covered feeding station outside of it. They are fed twice daily & recently a Tom has been showing up & stalking them! I stay with them while they eat & have spotted him watching from the outskirts...when they wander a bit to play he moves in & attacks them! Unfortunately I cannot bring these sweet babies inside because I already have 3 & I know that the 2 older ones would not get along with them at all. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions to get the Tom to move on or leave the girls alone? Thanks in advance!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Intact tom cats will attack any other males and spayed females they meet. They're basically only tolerant of intact females, they just want to fight, mate and claim all the territory they can.

Once he has decided that there is food or something else that he wants in an area it's impossible to get him to leave. As Furballsmom said, the only option is to get him neutered too.

The good news is that if you have a spayed/neutered colony of several cats they usually get along well together. It can take up to a month for the male hormones to completely leave his system, so I suggest you try and get him TNR'd as soon as you can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do they spend time in your garage enough so that you could bring their food inside and close off the cat door? You could allow them outside as long as you are with them as the Tom will likely not pursue them in your presence. You might have to entice them back inside with some treats when play time is over. This could be temporary while you try and get the Tom trapped.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering the Tom will be the best and only humane solution. The vet can try giving him a hormone shot that helps calm down the tomcat machismo.
Your little colony is so blessed to have you caring for them. You have given them an ideal life. Their mother must have sensed that having her babies in "your territory " was the best for her little family. :rock: :heartshape:

Last edited: