Tolly's tummy/intestinal trouble

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that insulted look they give... ! LOL

Bear is near me napping now.
No I don't give a water chaser, he is good about taking his Denosyl. The Pepcid is the one he has spit out 3ish times in the last few months. It's so tiny that it get stuck between his tounge and cheeck LOL! He is fine taking it too, but if it gets stuck next to his tounge/cheek he will shoot me a "hurry up already it's bitter!" look. I might try the water with the Pepcid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Yeah, that insulted look they give... ! LOL

Bear is near me napping now.
No I don't give a water chaser, he is good about taking his Denosyl. The Pepcid is the one he has spit out 3ish times in the last few months. It's so tiny that it get stuck between his tounge and cheeck LOL! He is fine taking it too, but if it gets stuck next to his tounge/cheek he will shoot me a "hurry up already it's bitter!" look. I might try the water with the Pepcid.
I use the water chaser because it says to on the box
. Says when dry pilling, chase with water to be sure it doens't stick in the esophagus and not make it to where it needs to be before it stats dissolving. My vet also did not think it was necessary, but I do it anyway. He hates the water chaser, but Tolly is an angel about taking pills, since he has been taking them most of his life.

You can put a small dot of butter or mayonaise on Bear's nose/mouth after giving the pepcid, he'll lick it off and that will wash it down and take away the taste.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can tell that it's been a while since I read the box and paper LOL! I will do that tho, glad you brought it up!

Butter is a great idea for the Pepcid! Thanks!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I use the water chaser because it says to on the box
. Says when dry pilling, chase with water to be sure it doens't stick in the esophagus and not make it to where it needs to be before it stats dissolving. My vet also did not think it was necessary, but I do it anyway. He hates the water chaser, but Tolly is an angel about taking pills, since he has been taking them most of his life.

You can put a small dot of butter or mayonaise on Bear's nose/mouth after giving the pepcid, he'll lick it off and that will wash it down and take away the taste.
Winn Feline foundation says that whenever you pill (or give a capsule) to a cat, you should always follow with some water water to prevent it from sticking to the esophagus, which could cause inflammation and "stricture formation". It also says that you can follow the pill with a food treat instead. They tested Greenies pill pockets and a system called "FlavoRx pill glide", which is a one-step system that delivers the medication and a 3 ml fluid bolus at the same time. Both of them proved to work... http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com...-best-way.html
I try to always have a syringe with water when I pill Bugsy, or give him his liquid meds right after I give him his capsule, but sometimes it doesn't happen... (sometimes I need to just grab him as he passes by
). I need to be more diligent for sure, since he takes medication daily and that can be a problem for him in the future...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used food treats so far with all cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denosyl can't be taken with food, which is why I use a water chaser. Mayonnaise washes his phenobarbital down.