toilet training?

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know of heard of cats being trained to use the toilet instead of the litter box.

I had a thought, that since we are moving the litterbox next to the toilet anyways.. maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to just train them to use the toilet. I probably wont do it until they've gotton used to the box being in the bathroom for a while.

Has anyone attempted this?.. was it successful or not? Any tips or advice?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 3 of mine trained for over a year, I did it just for fun to see if they could and only stopped because I brought in entire cats and no sense in training them.
They still use the toilet when I take them to visit at my mums house.

I used the Litter Kwitter and my only advice would be to move slowly and be prepared to go back to a litter tray if the cats don't enjoy the training.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been curious about that myself. It would probably be easier to train a kitten than an older cat like Emmy. I only have one bathroom though. I'd hate to have to fight Emmy over which one of us has to potty more than the other. And she's already taken my bathroom sink over.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the idea for medical reasons:

1. you cannot monitor how much or how little a cat is going (UTI's, diabetes, etc.)

2. you cannot check to see if there is blood in the urine or poop.

3. you cannot ge a stool sample.

Some cats that are diggers in the litter pan would probably refuse to use a toilet as most all cats do want to "bury" their deposits; can't do that on a toilet.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago I had a cat that taught herself to pee in the toilet. She never did poop there though. It was funny!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy will pee in the toilet, no poops, when she is in, but prefers to run outside to her little spot, do her thing and come right back. She taught herself to do it.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) When "fresh" some cats will drink from the toilet.
2) Occasionally a paw will slip from the slick rim and fall in the toilet
3) Don't get to express scratching instinct.
4) If it doesn't go square in the bowl, it can be smelly.
5) Some cats will pee not really squatting and miss.
6) Cats allowed in restrooms can often make playthings out of toilet paper rolls
7) Some cats will figure out how to flush, and do that over and over wasting water
8) Not as easy to inspect.

IMO, if you have any unused closet in the house, just take 15 mins and remove the door off the hinges, saw a slot in the bottom and install a cat-door if you like, and put the litterbox in there. Nice and private, out of sight, and contains odors.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

1. you cannot monitor how much or how little a cat is going (UTI's, diabetes, etc.)

Some cats that are diggers in the litter pan would probably refuse to use a toilet as most all cats do want to "bury" their deposits; can't do that on a toilet.
I agree. I just don't like the idea on too many levels.

I do have a friend whose cat taught himself to use the toilet, she had nothing to do with it. But then he developed FLUTD and she ran into a problem when he had to be in the hospital, because he didn't want to use the litter.

So now she keeps a litter box too, and he uses both.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting that some cats are able to teach themselves. I wonder if I kept a bit of their box dump offs in one of the toilets and started leaving the bathroom door open if any one of the cats would be smart enough to figure it out? ...likely not.
Sherman finally seems to be passed his toilet paper shredding so I've considered letting them have run of the master bath anyways. (plus all the tile gets cold in the winter with the door shut)

While I prefer to monitor, too, if anyone will choose to use it I'll let them. Forcing it on a cat seems like too much effort and stress for everyone involved, though.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, cats are the original copy cats, so when they see us sit there to do our business, some must think it's a good idea.

I keep the toilet lid down at all times, so I'll never know if any of my cats have every had the inclination.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Well, cats are the original copy cats, so when they see us sit there to do our business, some must think it's a good idea.
I don't let them in with me if I can help it (somehow I ended up with all three kittens in there the other morning and they wouldn't get out... ).
Our lids stay down, and doors closed. But I'm willing to see what will happen. Hopefully Tomas doesn't fall in.

amby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Before adopting my kitten, I had really high hopes for toilet training her. But I've done more research about it, and in the end I think it's just better to stick to the litter box for the sake of health and safety for my baby 
(as GoldenKitty45 stated)