Toilet training experiences!

howie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I am currently toilet training my kittens (a 1 year old female, Willow, and 7 month old male, Hank) and wanted to see if anybody else has successfully done this and if they have any advice. We have only been trying this a couple of days so are still on the red stage with the trainer toilet on the floor next to the real toilet. 

I also wanted to ask if anyone else's cat did something funny like this. Sorry if this is TMI, but here goes... Hank loves to play in the bathroom while I'm in it and since we have started toilet training, every time I go to pee he also gets on his trainer toilet and pees. So we always pee together now. Is this normal? Is he copying me?

Looking forward to any advice or stories! :)

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat always comes in the bathroom with me,they like it in there because its cooler and carmer then the rest of the house normally..

however..toilet training?

why would you want your cats peeing in the same place you do?

cats by nature like to dig holes to pee in so they can bury it afterwards...its not natural for a cat to use a human style toilet!

its not hygenic either....is it?...i personally have seen this on youtube with people getting cats to use thier human bathrooms to pee in...and its very rare it works out.....the cats end up using the bathroom floor,sinks,bath tubs...simply because they look and feel so much alike the actual toilet!

why would you want to train your cat to use a human toilet?is it because you hate litter trays in your home?or cleaning them out?

I don't have a litter tray,my cat goes outside in the man made litter tray i put in place for him...i clean that out about twice a week...just use a shovel and a bag...job done!no smells in my house,or bits of litter every where...do your cats live indoors all the time then?...if they do then id get a cat run or pen and put the litter trays in there...that way your cats safe and you don't have to have litter trays or mess in your home....perfect solution!!

The only time i use a litter tray is in the winter or if the weather is very bad....so far this has worked with all my indoor/outdoor cats....

its not in a cat nature to be using a human toilet and many vets agree!!!

but good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NEVER had a pure domestic cat use the toilet. My F1 Bengal, did use the toilet and only the toilet. But, the Asian Leopard Cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) naturally uses water to urinate and defecate. So, it is very natural for an F1 Bengal to use the toilet. Like, Stella123 points out, that, is not how most pure domestic cats are. Plus, I had three bathrooms, when, my F1 Bengal was alive. Taro, was allowed in two of the three bathrooms. Since, like Stella123, pointed out, I did not want to share toilet with my cat, for "health reasons".

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boss (behavior consultant) trained her cat to use the toilet.  He is totally reliable with it, and uses the guest bathroom.  

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is fine to train your cat to use the toilet and have seen some success stories. Usually people have a designated toilet just for the cats, but I am sure using an antiseptic wipe should work too. I am not sure why so many people are against it and think some posts are way to judgemental.

I personally wouldn't do it with my cat because he has a gamma personality and doesn't do well with changing his routine. We use a litter robot which is one of the best inventions ever! It is actually a self- cleaning litter box unlike others we have tried (litter maid). Frank really loves it because it is always fresh even when I am at work or at 3 am! It took him some time to use it because of his crazy personality but now he just goes in there just to look out the window lol

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
its just not natural for a cat to use a human toilet!

i would never want to risk catching something or my children or even guests.....cats are not people...

they like to dig,pee and cover it.....do they flush aswell?have a toilet tissue in thier paws?i'm guessing not!

I find it gross!

i'd sooner clean a litter tray then pee and poop out my bath and sink any day of the week...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't mind cleaning the litter tray and have no specific reason for toilet training other than it's something fun to do with my kitties, who I love very much. I'm an engineer and I just like these kinds of challenges. As long as the kittens seem to be having a good time with it I don't see the problem. 

You say this is not hygienic but as far I can see it's actually far more hygienic than if they were to use a litterbox. With a litterbox the cat is digging around in their urine and feces, getting it all over their paws, and also in the air and their fur in the form of dust particles from the litter. Then they track those germs and possibly parasites all over the floor, sofas, carpets, counters and so forth where the germs can persist for weeks. With a toilet, the cat does not come into contact with their urine or feces at all and it is simply flushed down the toilet. In that case, I am far less likely to be infected from sharing the toilet with my cat than I am by changing a litterbox or simply petting a cat that uses a litterbox. 

Also, something to think about: I had a kitten who died of FIP last year and sharing litterboxes is the primary way cats infect each other with coronavirus, the virus that can mutate into FIP. Maybe if more cats were toilet trained we'd be seeing fewer deaths from FIP...

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't mind cleaning the litter tray and have no specific reason for toilet training other than it's something fun to do with my kitties, who I love very much. I'm an engineer and I just like these kinds of challenges. As long as the kittens seem to be having a good time with it I don't see the problem. 

You say this is not hygienic but as far I can see it's actually far more hygienic than if they were to use a litterbox. With a litterbox the cat is digging around in their urine and feces, getting it all over their paws, and also in the air and their fur in the form of dust particles from the litter. Then they track those germs and possibly parasites all over the floor, sofas, carpets, counters and so forth where the germs can persist for weeks. With a toilet, the cat does not come into contact with their urine or feces at all and it is simply flushed down the toilet. In that case, I am far less likely to be infected from sharing the toilet with my cat than I am by changing a litterbox or simply petting a cat that uses a litterbox. 

Also, something to think about: I had a kitten who died of FIP last year and sharing litterboxes is the primary way cats infect each other with coronavirus, the virus that can mutate into FIP. Maybe if more cats were toilet trained we'd be seeing fewer deaths from FIP...
I gotta agree.....my boss' cat, who uses the toilet, never misses, never gets anything on the toilet seat.....seems to me to be far more hygienic than a litter box.  

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat does not use a litter tray,he goes outside to pee ....im sorry but as humans i can not agree with cats using my toilet...i have a young daughter and her hygine is more important..

and if its all just fun to you..have a good time..

but please don't forget your cats are not human..they are animals...but good luck with it any how!