Toilet Paper Attacker

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an adopted girl kitty, she just turned one. The one thing that she is obsessed with tearing apart is the toilet paper roll in the downstairs bathroom. That’s where her litter box is, and has been since day one and she never has any accidents and it definitely needs to stay in there. But we can’t leave toilet paper in there, even for like ten minutes when we have guests. We have to put it under the sink. She rips it apart so quickly! She also will rip apart tissue paper, should be an interesting Christmas, first Christmas tree for Emma AND snacks. Does anyone have advice on a way to deter this? She has 90 billion toys and cat towers and scratching posts and a fountain and food and really lives quite the life. I’m very glad it isn’t wires and electronics, but I would love to be able to provide guests with a roll of toilet paper readily available.

Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy her lots of tissue paper and put the toilet paper roll in a plastic tissue box container (with a note taped to it explaining why you have to hide the toilet paper from your cat?)

All in all this sounds like one of the least harmless kitty destructor stories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buy her lots of tissue paper and put the toilet paper roll in a plastic tissue box container (with a note taped to it explaining why you have to hide the toilet paper from your cat?)

All in all this sounds like one of the least harmless kitty destructor stories.
You are right, it definitely is pretty harmless. She is my first cat though so I’m not fully used to all of their odd tendencies. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an easy “cure”. From this site I got the idea to give her straws as a kitten to keep her from chewing stuff and it worked like a charm.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to stop a persistent toilet paper shredder is to keep the paper put away at all times. A box with a latching lid works to hold a couple of rolls of paper. But even with that it is inevitable that they occasionally get ahold of a roll. With my last kitten she got the rolls so often that I had a basket that held the shredded paper. When we had guests we would set out a real roll but otherwise we used shredded and mangled rolls from the basket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only way to stop a persistent toilet paper shredder is to keep the paper put away at all times. A box with a latching lid works to hold a couple of rolls of paper. But even with that it is inevitable that they occasionally get ahold of a roll. With my last kitten she got the rolls so often that I had a basket that held the shredded paper. When we had guests we would set out a real roll but otherwise we used shredded and mangled rolls from the basket.

Hahaha! Upstairs she rolls it all out but doesn’t attack it as much but I have a collection of just unrolled long pieces of toilet paper in the drawers that we use!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a Question of the Day, we were asked which way we load the toilet paper - over or under. Most respondents said that if the paper was under, their cats didn't shred it as much. I don't know if this will work for a committed paper shredder, but it might be worth a try.

I have wastebaskets on the floor under the toilet paper and as a result, my cats leave it alone. It's gotta be a pesky problem, though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One year I gave each of the cats a roll of toilet paper and the dog a roll of paper towels. We had a white Christmas.

Mine out grew the will to shred paper over time, a long time. Christmas wasn't the same after that, but we managed. ;)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't lived in a home had cats AND toilet paper hanging anywhere but in the cabinet under the sink for... Ever.

Just screw a little hanger thingie right on the inside of the cabinet door and that battle is won. :)
Either remember to tell anyone visiting where it is, or make a cute sign.

TwirlyGirly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As DreamerRose DreamerRose suggested, hanging the roll backwards prevents the cat from unrolling it. They can still spin it, but the paper won't unroll.

I did this after my cat Nicodemus totally destroyed two rolls. After I hung the roll backwards, he *tried* to unroll it a couple of times, but only succeeded in puncturing some holes in the roll with his claws (so I had "Swiss cheese" toilet paper for a few days).

But once he realized I'd outsmarted him, he lost interest in the toilet paper.

I also have a paper towel holder in the kitchen that attaches to the wall and holds the roll horizontally, like a toilet paper holder. Nico was jumping up and hooking his claws into the free edge of the paper towels, unrolling them, and tearing them to shreds, too.

Turning the paper towel roll around on its holder nipped that habit in the bud, too!

Try it.